Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

In search of the perfect calendar...

It's that time of year.  Time to find a new calendar for my wall at work.

First, a little background.  For years, I would use whatever free calendar I could find for my wall at work.  Many companies we do business with have their own calendars that they send to us, so I have quite a few to choose from. Thing is, they are all rather... boring.

So, I decided to find something I would prefer to look at.  I chose an Anne Taintor calendar one year. This year's has drawings by Edward Gorey. There were other such calendars.  Mostly cartoons or humor of some nature.

This year, I went to Amazon, my store of choice, to look for a new one for 2017.  I had a vague notion that I wanted one featuring the Addams Family but there aren't any.  I started a search and refined it to calendars for 2017 and wall calendars. 1785 choices!  Wow.

I debated narrowing it down to humor/cartoons but decided just to start looking through the pages.  Perhaps I want photos this year and I don't want to limit myself to only "humorous" calendars.

Well, you would be amazed what I have found so far.

Yes. There are the usual cat and dog calendars, calendars featuring scenes from movies and television shows, calendars of other animals, landscapes, artistic works, and celebrities.  Then there are the others.

There is a calendar with pictures of dogs pooping. No lie.
There are goats in trees. I've no idea why they are in the trees.
Pocket pigs. Wee little pigs.
Cow Yoga. - Cows in yoga poses. (and other animals in yoga poses, as well)
Hot Dudes Reading. - What it sounds like.  A bunch of men reading.
Shoes. - Just shoes.
Trout of North America - Sounds a bit fishy to me...
Pumpkin the Raccoon - That's the raccoon's name. It is not a calendar of pumpkins with raccoons.
I Could Pee On This Calendar - I presume the kitten on the cover is the one who could do that, not the author.
Outhouses - Why?
and finally, the 2017 Carp calendar - notable because of the nearly naked models posing with the fish.  (In fact, when I first saw the cover picture, I was confused. All I saw was the woman, not the carp.)

Well, I think I've seen it all now.  I'm reconsidering the boring landscapes.

------

Update:  I eventually settled on the Every Days a Holiday calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment