Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

New Comment System - Disqus

I am trying a new comment system from Disqus.  I am going to see how it goes.  If I start getting a lot of spam and it becomes a problem, I will make some alterations which might include moderated comments. I dislike moderated comments but if it's either that or go back to the captcha, I'll have to make the choice

One of the nice things about Disqus is that when one of my "trusted" readers comments, I am able to add him or her to a white list. If I need to go to moderated comments, I can allow those on this list to be able to comment without my moderation.

There is also a black list to which I can add spammers and I understand that this should be helpful, as well.

Let me know if you have any problems commenting, please!  Everything seems to work well for me but I need to know if one of you has a problem so I can correct the issue.

Thanks!

Image found here

5 comments:

  1. This is mostly a test comment, but I want to point out that I would love to use Livefyre's comment system but it is not available for Blogger - even though it's been "coming soon" for months (maybe years) - and the work around I've seen does not work with my present layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really get it so I'm posting as a guest. And I can't link to my blog when I comment, which is annoying because I like being able to link to it (if people like my comments how are they supposed to like my blog too if I can't link to it?). *cheeky grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I think the only way you could do that is to sign up for a Disqus account - which is silly if you don't use it.
    I like doing that, too, when I visit a blog. I was hoping that "guests" could link to a blog but I see that doesn't happen. I'll look into that, though, as it is a nice feature.
    I wonder if you can do that with Livefyre... I might change my blog's theme so I can use that if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you create a Disqus account, you can include your website on your profile. You also have the option of linking to and displaying your Google profile (or one of several others). This may or may not be of any benefit to you, since it does admittedly still require creating a Disqus account.

    Another thing creating a Disqus account is useful for is that you can actually claim and merge into your account any comments you have made using the same email address as a guest on any Disqus site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. That seems to be the only way - but I suppose it isn't a bad compromise and much better than having to link to Facebook or Google or Twitter...

    ReplyDelete