Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Monday, July 29, 2013

Myths and Facts about Vision

I have horrible eyesight.  I'm quite nearsighted and my astigmatism makes it difficult to correct my vision well with contacts so I've resigned myself to having to wear glasses.

I was just thinking the other day about some of the things I was told over the years - especially when young - and I wondered how many of them are true.

Here are some statements that are commonly made about vision and our eyes.   How many of them do you think are true?

1. Sitting too close to the TV is bad for your eyes.  I was told this a lot when I was young but it turns out that there is no truth to this statement.  In fact, younger children might be better able to focus on the television if they are closer.  You do want to make sure that they aren't sitting closer because they are becoming nearsighted, however.

2. If parents have poor vision, their children will too.  This is mostly true.  Vision problems, including cataracts, do tend to run in families. There is no guarantee one way or another, however.

3. Too much computer use can damage your eyes.  Nope.  Like the television, this won't damage your eyes.  You might suffer a bit of eye fatigue if you spend too much time all at once viewing the screen, however. This is because we blink less when staring at a screen so it's always good to take an occasional break now and then to avoid dry eyes!

4. Wearing glasses will make your vision worsen over time. I always thought this was true, at least as far as nearsightedness goes, but it isn't! It doesn't seem to matter if you wear glasses or not, your vision will most likely change over time.  So, no need to worry about damaging your eyes!

5. If you cross your eyes, they'll stay that way!!  Who hasn't heard this old chestnut before?  No need to worry, though! There's no truth to it!

---------
Information for this post was obtained from the following sources:
WebMD
Eye Care America
ABC News

Image obtained here (no, it is not my eye)

No comments:

Post a Comment