Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Cucumber Salad

We have cucumbers coming out our ears!

Cucumbers are one of those crops that produce a lot at once!  K planted two cucumber plants but I think we could have done alright with just one.

So!  What do I do when I have too many cucumbers?  I make cucumber salad!

I'm not sure if this is common in all parts of the world but it certainly is around here.  Everyone seems to have their favorite recipe and this is mine.  I took my mother's recipe and altered it a little by adding the seasoned salt - she used table salt - and adding dill.  She used some fresh ground pepper but I think it's too strong a flavor for the dish.  Have fun with it and make it your own way!

Cucumber salad

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

4 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced thinly
1 small red onion, sliced thinly

Place the cucumber and onion slices in a bowl.  Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Pour over the cucumber and onion slices and stir to coat.  Place in the refrigerator until chilled.
------

This is not a low fat food but it is delicious!  I generally taste the sauce before I pour it over the vegetables as I like a good mix between the sweet sugar and tart vinegar and sometimes I like a bit more vinegar.

You will find that the liquid will get a little watered down from the cucumber juices.  This is the way I remember it being when I grew up but some folks don't like it that runny.  I've seen suggestions on other recipes to salt the cucumber slices ahead of time, cover and leave for a couple hours, then pour off the liquid. I dislike the idea of adding more salt to the recipe so I'd definitely reconsider the seasoned salt if you do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment