Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Broccoli Salad

Today is Independence Day!

Many people have cookouts on this holiday so I thought I'd post a recipe for a salad that my daughter often takes to these family gatherings:  Broccoli salad!

There are tons of different recipes out there for broccoli salads and most of them are pretty much the same. This is the one that we like.  It is not vegetarian - as it contains bacon - and I've not tried it without the bacon so I don't know how that would be.  So, no.  I couldn't eat this (or wouldn't) but the carnivores in my  life enjoy it.  (and I did when I still ate meat)


Broccoli Salad

1 large head of broccoli - chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion
10 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
raisins (optional)
1 cup mayonnaise (low fat mayo can be used, as well!)
2 TBSP vinegar
3-4 tsp sugar
1 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds

Stir the first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. Now mix the mayo, vinegar and sugar and pour over the other ingredients. Stir to coat. Stir in sunflower seeds right before serving.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!! That sounds divine. Do you think it would work if I substitute pine nuts for the sunflower seeds?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! In fact, I wish I had thought of that!
      Let me know what you think if you make it! :-)

      Delete