Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, July 12, 2013

Being Tracked and Tracking Progress

I like technology. I really do!

I'm tickled that I have an app on my phone that tracks my location and tells me the weather where I am - not just where I live - and if there is severe weather approaching my location.  Awesome, right?

I love having an app that tracks how well I sleep, how long I sleep and wakes me, gradually, to the music selection of my choice.

I'll even admit that I like the fact that if I'm signed into Google when I search for something at work, Google will remember my interests and use that information to show items of interest on Google Now if I'm on my phone or search suggestions on my home computer.

Yes.  I'm being tracked.  I know a lot of people seriously have a problem with this but I don't.  I think that the benefits outweigh the risks. That's my opinion, though.  I know others will disagree.  I'm not going to argue the point.

Moving on...

In other news, they are replacing the bridge over the creek that runs next to the plant where I work.  I've been watching them and it's really neat how they're going about it.  First they inserted a flexible hose into the creek which was attached to a pump.  They pumped the water into a pipe that ran across the road and to another flexible hose that shoots the water into the creek bed downstream.  Then they placed sandbags in the creek to stop the flow so all the water can be pumped up and over leaving a dry creek bed behind.  They then broke down the bridge and scooped up the pieces and hauled them away.


I took the above picture yesterday.  You can see the two pumps they are using on the right side and the sandbags. Also in the picture is the machinery removing pieces of the bridge. You should be able to click the picture to make it bigger.

I took the following picture this morning. Sorry it's rather dark.  It's overcast today. They have removed all the debris and lined the bed with a fine gravel where they will build the new bridge.  They are currently surveying the area and, hopefully, will start construction today - as I'd like to get a picture of their progress before I leave today. (Again, click the picture to embiggen.) (<-- I like the word, embiggen, even if it was made up by the writers of The Simpsons!)


I hope I'm not boring everyone but I found it interesting to watch the progress.

Finally, I wanted to include a poll on this post but I didn't realize that my poll host website is blocked at work so I'll just ask the question and folks can leave comments to tell me their preference, if any.

*** The question of the day is:  Would you be more interested in a recipe for a zucchini pie or a cucumber salad? ***

I want to post one of them next Thursday so let me know if either one interests you.  Or not.  If that question doesn't interest you just answer any other question you wish. I'm easy like that.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment