Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, June 14, 2013

Random Friday is Random

As many of you many know, the Friday blog topic here is "random".  That is, there is no set topic.  I post whatever I want.  (I call it a Friday Free-for-all in my own head.)

You would think that this would be great!  I can write about anything I want!  Any subject or topic is acceptable!  Easy-peasy!

Yeah, no.  It doesn't seem to work that way.  Without a topic, I'm floundering around like a powerless ship out in the middle of the ocean during a storm.  (How's that for a visual?)

So, yeah.  Clearly I need to figure out a topic to base my Friday posts on but this does not help me today!

So!  We're just going to take stuff off the top of my head (and perhaps the middle and sides if we get desperate) and see how that goes.  I apologize in advance.

**I was going to post about a couple absurd cosmetic surgeries but both of the procedures in question were things I really didn't want to mention on my blog.  Yeah, I know. Hard to create a post around stuff that I really don't want to talk about.  So!  I'm going to place a couple links here and if you really, truly want to know what they are then click away.  Don't say I didn't warn you.  Here is Link One.  Here is Link Two.

**Moving on.... You know the classic Happy Birthday song? (Happy Birthday to you!  Happy Birthday to you!  etc.) Well, it is copyrighted. Anyone who wants to perform it in public has to pay a royalty fee to use it.  Turns out, the copyright might be invalid and the copyright-holder, Warner/Chappell Music, may have to repay millions of dollars in fees! There is a lawsuit pending and it should be interesting to see the outcome.

**The other day, I was reading another blogger's blog.  She had some very strong opinions about vegetarians, vegans and others who voluntarily limit their diet for reasons other than allergies.  In short, she despises them. She calls them "picky eaters" and thinks that they are inconsiderate of others.  Because they don't eat meat.
Now, as many of you might already know, I no longer eat meat (except fish and seafood) and yes, my decision is voluntary and based on the fact that I just wasn't enjoying eating meat anymore so I stopped.  (and some vague notion that it might be a little healthier but I don't think too much about it)
I don't judge anyone else for what they eat.  That is your own business.  I worry about me and that is that. I don't think in any way that I am better than anyone else because I don't eat meat.
So... if  person is not eating meat but isn't judging those who do, how is that being inconsiderate?  The blogger is not the first omnivore who I've encountered who seems threatened by people who don't eat meat but I really don't get it. Can someone explain to me how my choice of what I eat should bother anyone else?

**I'm going to borrow a phrase from Bill Maurer:   New Rule!  It is time that we learned that it is right to treat another person like a human being - regardless of their race, gender, country of origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion (or lack of...), hair color, eye color, etc., etc.  Just treat others like you would want to be treated and you're golden.  Simple.  Didn't we all learn this in elementary school?  If not, we should have. People are people and we all just want to be happy. Why is this so complicated?

**Yes, yes.  I'm sure, too, that I've stated the previous item before but it needs to be repeated because some of you aren't listening! You know who you are.  Or you might not, now that I'm thinking about it...

**Go.  Read.  The Bloggess has an excellent post about depression up today but you should read her on a regular basis because she is seriously hilarious! (most of the time.  Depression isn't funny, so...)  (and she's real, too, so BONUS!) Buy her book. (This is not a paid endorsement.  I just like to share links to awesome stuff/people when I find it/them.)

**Speaking of books!!!  *bounces slightly in her chair* Neil Gaiman's new novel, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, comes out in 4 days!!  Four! *grins* I'm sooo excited as I have preordered a signed copy and cannot wait to get my hands on it!

**My two latest obsessions:  Making my own graham crackers and obtaining a Roomba (but not paying full price because, seriously!  They are really, really pricey!)

**And.. that's it!  Have a lovely weekend all!  Hopefully I'll get my shit stuff together for next week!

Image found here and used for no particular reason other than that I like it and because I wanted a picture on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment