Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lemon Bars

I like trying new recipes and sharing what I like with others.  I thought that I'd add a new weekly feature to share some of my favorite recipes with my readers.  I've decided to call it Tasty Thursdays in my head though I'll add that label to these posts so folks can find all of them that way.

I was hungry for lemon bar cookies a while back but I hadn't actually ever made them myself.

I searched the internet and found a recipe for lemon bars that I liked but I tweaked it a little to make it more to my taste.

Lemon Bars

Crust:
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt

Lemon layer:
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups  granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp all purpose flour
2/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
Note: the recipe says the juice of 3 lemons will give you this but I've found I usually need 4 or 5 lemons to get this much juice

confectioners sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Blend crust ingredients in a medium bowl.  Press into an ungreased 9x13 pan.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow crust to cool to room temperature.
Mix 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp flour and 1 1/2 cup sugar.  Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice.  Pour over the baked crust.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. The bars will get firm while they cool.
Dust with confectioners sugar, if desired.

What's your favorite type of cookie?

Image found here

4 comments:

  1. Hey! If you're going to go around saying you tweaked a recipe, the least you could do is say what you tweaked, and why!

    I mean, sure, I could google for lemon bar recipes to compare and figure it out...but then I'd spend the next several hours drifting from recipe to recipe to recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Okay... Well, the original recipe didn't call for any salt in the shortbread-like layer but I thought it needed a bit so I added a dash or so.

      The original also called for the juice of 2 lemons - which is really vague. In reading the comments I noticed that some folks said that wasn't enough. One person suggested at least 1/2 cup lemon juice. I tried 1/2 cup first but that wasn't enough lemon flavor for me so I increased it to 2/3 of a cup.

      Some folks suggested added a bit of the lemon zest, as well, but I didn't bother.

      Delete
    2. ...and now I have the data to see that you have created a superior product! *adds to recipe files* :)

      I too usually add a bit of salt to sweet recipes to balance the sweetness better and give it a bit of depth; I nearly always ignore directions to use unsalted butter. Saltless sweets always seem rather one-dimensional and lacking to my tastebuds.

      And yes, I also prefer good, tart, lemony lemon bars. It makes me sad that modern recipes for sweets nearly always have more sugar flavor than other; unless you're talking "brown" or "maple", I'm really not all that fond of the flavor of the sugar itself.

      Adding lemon zest really does make a significant difference, though, and might be how those two-lemon recipes get by. Also, how many of these tips for getting more juice out are you familiar with? Do you use any of them regularly?

      Delete
    3. I only ever knew to roll them! I'll have to try some of the rest of the tips!

      To be honest, my lemons were a little on the small side so that might have been why I didn't get very much juice.

      Delete