We're looking at a heat wave in my area of the world this week. I am aware that it might not be as hot as some other places are during summer but we aren't used to this sort of heat combined with humidity. It'll be in the upper 80s and low 90s all week and sticky with humidity. Yuck!
When the weather gets especially hot, we turn on or turn up our air conditioning to compensate. The question is, what do you do if you don't have air conditioning?
Here are 5 tips that will help you if you are in that situation.
1. Keep your windows closed. This sounds counterintuitive but it actually can help! Close your windows and your blinds during the day to keep the hot air out. When it gets cool at night, open them up to cool down the house. Then, close them again in the morning before the sun rises!
2. Eat cool meals. Eating a hot meal will only heat you up so try a cool meal on a hot day. Perhaps a salad or sandwich - or try something new like a cold soup! If you do cook, try to use the grill or the stovetop so you don't heat up the house.
3. Take a cool shower or go swimming. This seems obvious but it is an excellent way to cool down fast if you are overheated. I would advise against a hot shower, of course, as this will only heat you up.
4. Use fans the right way. Ceiling fans are terrific at creating a cool breeze that makes you feel cooler so use them if you have them - but turn them off if you leave the room. At night, try putting a fan in a window at one side of the house blowing in to draw in cool air and one at the other side of your house to blow out the warm air. This does wonders! (but remember to close those windows and blinds in the morning)
5. Turn off the lights. Incandescent bulbs create heat so turn them off if you don't need them! When you buy new ones, try the energy star bulbs that create less heat. As a bonus, they will save you money, as well!
Image found here