Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Monday, June 3, 2013

5 Facts about Albino Animals

I came across a picture of an albino alligator a few days ago and it made me curious about albino animals.  I did a Google image search and found quite a few interesting pictures including this albino peacock!  I've never seen one before! Lovely! If you're curious, take a look yourself.  I think they're really beautiful.

I also was able to find out quite a few things about albino animals.  Here are just a few facts about them.



1. Albino animals' bodies lack the ability to produce melanin which would create normal pigmentation so they appear white.

2. You can tell if an all white animal is an albino by looking at its eyes.  True albinos always have pink or red eyes.

3. Albinism is genetic and extremely rare as it is caused by a recessive gene.  Only about 1 in 10,000 animals will be born an albino.

4. Many Native American tribes held beliefs that albino animals were "spirit" animals or had magical qualities. I find this understandable as they do look mysterious.

5. Albino animals in the wild are often easy prey for predators as they can't use their natural coloring to hide in their surroundings.  They have a low survival rate.

Image found here

2 comments:

  1. Mavis Marie FitzherbertSeptember 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

    my little dog gave birth to 3 albino puppies in 1 litter

    ReplyDelete