Flowers are certainly beautiful and their function is generally to help with reproduction. Many flowers emit pleasing fragrances and are brightly colored to attract animals to help them spread their pollen.
I've found some interesting facts about flowers:
1. Roses are related to apples, raspberries, cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines, pears and almonds.
2. The largest flower in the world is the corpse flower - which can grow to 10 feet high and 3 feet wide. The flowers smell like decaying flesh and that's where they get their name.
3. Most of us consider the dandelion a weed but the flowers and leaves are a nutritious treat so, if you don't use pesticides, consider harvesting those leaves for a salad. The flowers can be breaded and fried in a pan. Dandelions contain vitamins A and C, iron, calcium and potassium.
4. Moon flowers are unusual as they bloom at night and close during the day.
5. The foxglove gets its name from the belief that foxes slipped their feet into the flowers to sneak up on their prey. That certainly is a humorous thought!
What are your favorite spring flowers?
Image found here