Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, April 19, 2013

In the Aftermath of the Boston Marathon Bombing

[Please note that this post was written throughout the day yesterday, April 18, and scheduled to post this morning.  I decided not to alter it to reflect the recent events that occurred after I went to bed last night.]


I've been really angry this week.  Enraged, even.  I couldn't figure out why, at first. 
I thought I was just in a bad mood.

For hours

    ...and then days.

Then the stress headache hit yesterday and forced me to pay attention to myself and I realized what it was.

See... when I hold in my emotions, I get a horrible headache.  I first recall having this
happen during my father's memorial service.  I was trying not to sob - even though that 
would have been a more honest reaction - because we were trying not to cry.  (all of us) 
Because crying, and sobbing, will make other people uncomfortable, you know.  So we
didn't  (my sisters and I) and I ended up with the worst headache I could recall ever
experiencing.  I finally had to go out and sit in the car, cry my eyes out, take a nap and 
go back inside where everyone was meeting and greeting (and eating) after the service.

                   
I realized that this particular stress headache was related to the bombings at the Boston Marathon on Monday.

Why anger?

There are 3 people dead and countless others injured and why?  Because some dirtbag wanted to make some sort of STATEMENT?!?

Here.  In the United States. On Patriots' Day, of all days!  The best approach you could come up to express yourself with was to explode bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon?!?

Here! In the United States - where you can legally express yourself no matter how unpopular your opinion might be? (Surely you've heard of the freedom of speech!)

I mean... all the time and money you spent learning how to make an explosive device and planning out how to accomplish your goal when you could have....
  • Told a friend!
  • Written a letter to the editor of a newspaper --- or 10 newspapers!  20!
  • Told your parents, siblings, distant relatives, etc
  • Emailed your Senator(s) or Representative!
  • Blogged about it!
  • Told a neighbor!
  • Made a speech in the public square!
  • Tweeted it!
  • Shouted it from your rooftop!!
  • Written a letter to any authority figure you can name!
  • Taken out a full-page ad in the New York Times!!
  • ALL OF THESE AND MORE!
But NO!
The BEST WAY you could think of to get your point across was to kill and maim innocent people who (probably) have nothing to do with whatever is bothering you?!?

I have no way to adequately describe what I think of a person who commits this sort of act.

So now, since that is the path you chose, when you are caught - and you surely will be caught! - you will, at the very least, spend the rest of your pathetic life in jail.  

Congratulations.  

While you are sitting in that jail cell, your message - whatever it was - will be lost.  No one will really, truly, care about what you were trying to say.

--If I have my way, we won't even remember your name.  You don't deserve recognition.--

Meanwhile, do you know what else will happen? 
  1. We will grieve the loss of the 3 people who died. 
  2. Those who lost limbs will grieve the loss of their mobility and will work on recovering.
  3. People who were witnesses to the incident will come to grips with what they experienced.
And... we will move on.

See, next year (on Patriots' Day) the Boston Marathon will run as it always does. Yes, we'll probably pause to remember the lives that were lost this year and those who were injured and we will grieve a bit but the race will go on.  We won't change very much.  Oh, there will probably be even more security than there was this year.  And yes, the participants and spectators will be even more watchful for anything unusual - but the marathon will go on as planned. 

Why?  Because we will NOT allow the actions of a pathetic, ignorant, bottom-feeder change the way we do things.  

You see, here in the US, we don't give into terrorists and we sure as HELL are not going to allow the actions of a cowardly loser to influence the way we live our lives.

So, for most of us, life will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment