Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Truth About Detox Foot Patches

Do you remember this product?  Detox foot pads were all the rage several years ago - around 2008.

The idea was that you attached these pads to the bottom of your feet while you slept.  During the night, the pads would draw out heavy metals from your body and deposit them on the pads, darkening them.  In the morning, you would remove the pads and throw them away.  As you used them over time, the pads were supposed to be less dark indicating that they were working.

Users were supposed to have more energy and the pads were even touted to cure certain medical conditions! The manufacturer claimed they could be used to treat headaches, parasites, insomnia, depression, high blood pressure, diabetes and even cause weight loss.

I remember seeing an episode of the TV show 20/20 where these pads were discussed.  ABC has an article about what they found out on their website.  They had a group of people test the pads. All of them reported that the pads had darkened overnight so it appeared that something was happening.  The pads were sent to a lab that tested them.  The lab tested for 23 toxins and found none of them in the pads.  In fact, they discovered that even distilled water darkened the pads. Clearly the pads were not removing toxins as claimed!

Yep, the whole idea was a scam! In fact, the FTC banned the company that made one of the most popular brands, Kinoki, from marketing them in the US as they were making false medical claims.

I was aware of all this so imagine my surprise when I saw a similar product being sold on Amazon! In fact, a product using the name "Kinoki" is even available -though I'm not sure it is the same company as the package is different. I do see that they aren't making claims to cure any medical conditions but tell you that you will have more energy and that they will relax your muscles.  Still, it amazes me that these are still around even after it was proven that they do not do what they claim to do or anything at all!

I guess that only proves that there is not a lack of gullible people in the world, doesn't it?


image by .imelda and found here

4 comments:

  1. Hello my family member! I wish to say that this article is awesome,
    nice written and come with almost all vital infos.

    I would like to look extra posts like this .

    Take a look at my web blog; detox foot pad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks a lot

    My web page - foot pad

    ReplyDelete
  3. When toxins are absorbed into the system, most become embedded in our tissues. As the Foot pads are placed on our skin, the natural herbs interact, and begin their work by emitting far infrared energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like it was taken directly from an advertisement for one of these products. Can you show me any scientific studies that back up this claim?

    ReplyDelete