Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, March 29, 2013

Some Bits of Randomness

Sometimes I come across things I want to share that aren't "big" enough for an entire post.  I thought I'd combine some of these here.

I don't know about you, but I found out not too long ago that I had been using those fast food ketchup cups all wrong!
Take a look at this video:

Not only does this make it easier to dip foods into the ketchup but you can fit so much more ketchup into the cup if you fan it out a little before filling it!  No more filling 2 or 3 cups and trying not to drop them on the way back to your table!

I felt really stupid once I found this out.  It just never occurred to me to examine the cups!

Next up is a misconception that I'd really like to put to rest. Once and for all, can we come to the understanding that sea salt is NOT better for you than table salt?!?  I am so tired of hearing this one!!

Sea salt is made from evaporated sea water.
Table salt is mined from the earth.
Both are "natural".

Table salt tends to be processed to remove other minerals and anti caking agents as well as iodine are usually added.

Sea salt might contain more minerals (it really depends on where it was obtained) and it might taste better - or just different -  but when it comes down to it,  salt is salt!  They both contain the same amount of sodium! Not only that but your body needs iodine to function correctly so eating iodized salt is a good way to get enough iodine -especially if you eat a lot of processed foods.

So!  If you choose sea salt over table salt, be sure you are getting enough iodine in your system but remember that it is still salt and is no better for you than table salt.

Finally, I'd like to present this item that I would place firmly in the "You have GOT to be kidding me" category.

State lawmakers in Montana are considering passing a bill that would allow people to use roadkill for food.  I am not making this up. I'm sorry but there is no way I could eat roadkill.  Well, alright, I don't eat meat except fish or seafood - and those are not likely to be roadkill - but seriously.  If I did eat other meats, it would not have come from roadkill.  I mean... how would you know for sure that it was safe to eat?  How would you know - unless you saw it get hit - how long it was sitting there?!?  The whole idea turns my stomach.

Moving on...
Yes, I know I said that was my last item but I can't end on that note.  I found a terrific website that I'd like to share with you all.  It is called Zen Pencils.  An artist, Galvin Aung Than, takes inspirational quotes and draws cartoons to illustrate them!  I think this one is one of my favorites. Which ones speak to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment