Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Acts of Kindness - week 4


I'm sorry that I'm late posting this week's list.  I've had an issue with neck pain that was aggravated by using the computer so I took some time off from recreational use of the computer. I'm feeling much better now.
--------
I'm on week number 4 of my year-long project.  Here's what I accomplished this week!

January 19, 2013 - Helped K's family members transport food items from their vehicles to the church.
          K's family, as I believe I mentioned before, was helping to "cater" the light meal following his aunt's memorial service. There was a lot of confusion as far as where to enter the church as it was unfamiliar to many of the family members (and us, as well, until we explored a bit) and it has been built onto many times creating a bit of a maze to wind through to get from point A to B.   I decided to place myself just inside the one door so I could keep watch out he window and go out to help people transport their items inside and so that I could direct where everyone was to go.

January 20, 2013 - Cooked up soup and filled several small containers for K's uncle.
          K and I had provided vegetable trays for the meal after his aunt's memorial service and we had prepared too much and had a lot of leftovers.  I made a couple batches of vegetable broth with a good deal of them - then made a lentil vegetable soup and a white bean & kale soup. I made up a couple single-serving containers of each kind for K's uncle and we took them in to him.

January 21, 2013 -  Picked up garbage around library
          As I was passing the library on the way home from work I noticed that it appeared like someone had strewn the contents of a McDonald's bag in the bushes next to the building.  I always carry a plastic grocery bag in my coat pocket (so I have one when I'm walking the dog) so I pulled it out and filled it with the garbage and took it home to throw away.

January 22, 2013 -  Donated to the stained glass window fund
          The church where K's aunt's memorial service was held is quite old and has the loveliest stained glass windows.  There was a notice up at the church where they were asking for donations to a fund to repair some of the windows which are showing signs of aging.  I sent off a small amount to the church to help them with this project.

January 23, 2013 - Plugged a quarter into another driver's parking meter
          I had to go into the small city just south of here and most of the parking in town is metered.  I saw that the vehicle next to mine had an expired meter - but had not been ticketed - so I plugged a quarter in their meter so they wouldn't get a ticket.

January 24, 2013 - Left a Thank-you note for the mail carrier
          I thought that it would be nice to let our mail carrier know that we appreciate her so I left a thank you note attached to the mailbox.  I hope it made her smile!

January 25, 2013 - Placed newspaper on porch
          When I passed my neighbor's porch, I noticed their newspaper on the sidewalk in front of it.  Even though it was in a plastic bag, there was a chance that the moisture from the snow/slush would make its way inside the bag to the paper so I picked up the paper and tossed it up on the porch and out of the weather.
       
----------
If you have any suggestions for acts of kindness, please leave them in the comments or email me by clicking the "contact" button on the side of my page.  If you feel I've not hit my goals let me know as well!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment