Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, January 18, 2013

Acts of Kindness - week 3


I'm on week number 3 of my year-long project.  Here's what I accomplished this week!

January 12, 2013 - Let a women go ahead of me in line at the grocery store
          She looked like she was in a hurry and I was not.  'Nuff said.

January 13, 2013 - Helped a confused woman at the hospital
          She couldn't find the room she was looking for.  She was following the room numbers down the hall but got to the end without finding the one she was looking for.  I was familiar with how oddly they number the rooms in that hospital so I helped her find the one she was heading to.

January 14, 2013 - Let a couple people go ahead of me in line at the cafeteria at work.
          Production employees have to be back on time but office employees like myself don't need to worry about that. I figured I'd let them go ahead of me so they would have more time to eat.

January 15, 2013 -  Returned several carts to the cart stall at Walmart
          I'm not sure why people leave their carts out in the middle of the parking lot when there are plenty of cart stalls for them to use. Laziness? Apathy?  I took several strays to the nearest cart stall along with mine when I was finished with it.

January 16, 2013 - Packed up a bag of clothing to go to Goodwill.
          I finally started going through my clothing.  I have items I doubt I'll wear again even if I do manage to lose the extra weight I'm carrying.  I'm not in my 30s anymore, after all.  I went through my one bureau and removed items I won't wear again.  I'll take the bag into town next time I go that way and drop it into the Planet Aid box I just noticed recently. (I'd not heard of them before.  If you haven't, click the link. It sounds like they do good work!  They haven't been reviewed by Charity Navigator but I'm taking the chance, anyway.  I like that they seem to be a secular organization.)

January 17, 2013 - Made up a couple of meals to freeze for K's uncle
          I'm not sure what K's uncle is going to do now that his wife has passed away but I know he doesn't cook.  I imagine K's mother will make sure he doesn't starve but she and his father are on a fixed income, too, so they really can't afford to feed someone else.
I made up a couple meals for K's uncle and stuck them in the freezer.  I'll make up more over the weekend and we'll take them in to him. I wanted him to have something decent to eat that he can just pop in the microwave to heat up.  If he seems to eat them, I'll make up more periodically so he has home-cooked food to eat.
I'm going to suggest he call our local Meals on Wheels, as well, and see if he qualifies.  That way someone would visit daily and bring a hot meal.

January 18, 2013 - Paid for the next person's latte at the coffee shop
          I got to use one of my smile cards!  I was the only customer in the coffee shop so I told the barista that I wanted to pay for the next large latte ordered and gave her one of my cards to give them.  My anonymity might be at stake, however, as she recognized me and greeted me by name.  I used to stop in several times a week before work but then my work schedule changed so I've not been in for months.  I didn't figure she'd know me but she did!  Oh, well... Chances are the next customer won't know me if she tells them my name!

-----------
Administration stuff: 
My "smile" cards which I mentioned ordering a couple weeks ago arrived in the mail ahead of schedule!  I received them on Saturday! What a nice surprise!


----------
If you have any suggestions for acts of kindness, please leave them in the comments or email me by clicking the "contact" button on the side of my page.  If you feel I've not hit my goals let me know as well!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment