Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, January 11, 2013

Acts of Kindness - week 2


I'm on week number 2 of my year-long project.  Here's what I did this week!

January 5, 2013 - Returned stray carts from the parking lot to the grocery store.
          I often shop for groceries at a small, locally-owned grocery store.  They have an extra-wide porch area on the side of the building where the shopping carts are kept when not in use and the entrance to the store is on this side of the building. The parking area except for a few spaces is at the front of the building.   As would be expected (and I have to believe it is universal...) not everyone returns the carts where they should go.  When I returned my cart to the store, I also collected several others that were along the front of the building but that someone had not bothered to take over to the side where they are kept and returned those, as well.  I had to smile a moment later as I noticed a store employee come out and walk around to the front of the building -  I'm thinking she was looking for stray carts - only to shrug and go back inside.

January 6, 2013 - Wrote and sent off a quick note to one of my internet friends who I've known for a long time telling her how much I appreciate her.
          I have several internet friends who I have known for quite a number of years and know well enough to have their mailing address. Many of them know me from my previous blogging platform.  One of these friends doesn't spend a whole lot of time online anymore but we try to keep in touch.  I wanted her to know how much I appreciate her friendship so I sent a card off to her telling her so!

January 7, 2013 - Helped a co-worker carry items to her car.
           As I was leaving work, I noticed a coworker coming out of our retail store which is located on the one end of our building.  She was struggling with several bulky bags of product- and probably wished she'd made more than one trip - so I offered to take a couple bags from her and follow her to her car.        

January 8, 2013 - Picked up advertising papers and placed them on porches
          This might become a weekly task at this rate! I thought that, perhaps, there were so many papers out on the sidewalks last week when I walked home because they arrived a day later because of the holiday and folks didn't think to look for them.  Turns out I was wrong!  I think I found 8 - 10 to pick up and place on porches and stoops on the way home this week.  I'm slightly irritated at the people who deliver them for being so lazy but it gives me an opportunity to do good so I guess it's all good.

January 9, 2013 - Held door for co-worker
           As I was opening the door to go into work, I noticed one of my co-workers hurrying to cross the street from the parking lot.  She looked like she was running late so I paused and waited for her - as it sometimes takes folks a while to locate their pass to swipe to get in the door and I thought I'd save her some time. Turns out that she was hurrying because she had forgotten her door pass at home and would have been unable to open the door without it to enter the building. When she saw me nearing the door, she started running as she was hoping to follow me in.

January 10, 2013 - Chased after a woman with her dropped bag
          My boyfriend, my daughter, her two children, and I went to the Farm Show after I got off work.  It was crowded - as expected - though perhaps not as bad as it would have been over the weekend.  We were taking an escalator from one area to another and as we were nearing the top I noticed a woman pushing a stroller. She stopped to the side adjust something and when she set off again I saw a bag drop off the side of stroller onto the floor.  She didn't notice she had dropped it so she continued on.  When we reached that area moments later the bag was still there on the floor.  I picked it up and made my way through the crowd to find the woman and return it.  She hadn't even realized she had lost it and was glad someone had noticed.
          [Funny granddaughter story:  We asked Emma - who turns 4 in a little over a month - what she wanted to see first at the farm show thinking it might be the cows or the pigs or some other animal.  Nope!  She wanted to see.... the tractors!! She loves all manner of motorized vehicles - fire trucks, construction equipment and even tractors!  She's one of a kind! (and got her fill of examining all sorts of tractors up close!)]

January 11, 2013 - Made a donation to Wikipedia
          I don't know about you, but I use Wikipedia a lot!  I find it an invaluable source of information about practically anything and a terrific source of images that I can use here on my blog! (Most, if not all, of their images are licensed under Creative Commons for free re-use. l always check to be sure that I can use them, however, and to see if attribution is required or not.)
Wikipedia is a non-profit [501(c)(3)] organization and is able to remain advertising-free because of donations from people just like you and me from around the world.  If you use Wikipedia, consider making a donation yourself! It is a worth-while organization to help out!

-----------
Administration stuff: 
My "smile" cards which I mentioned last week should be arriving in the mail next Tuesday!  I'm looking forward to using them!

----------
If you have any suggestions for acts of kindness, please leave them in the comments or email me by clicking the "contact" button on the side of my page.  If you feel I've not hit my goals let me know as well!  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment