Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Lone Voice in the Wilderness

I am in a business where I deal with people under contract with our company.  Enclosed with the usual paperwork I received from one of these people was the following card.  It is about the size of a business card and, as you can see, it has a religious message and scripture (John 3:16). I've taken a picture of both the front and the back of the card.



I'm going to ignore the issue of whether or not this is appropriate to send in business communication and skip right on to intent. I imagine - and please correct me if you think I'm wrong - that the sender enclosed the card with the intention of "spreading the word" as instructed to do by scripture. (Mark 16:15-16 is a good example)

Now, let's consider who this message would most likely reach. The vast majority of people in my very conservative area of the United States are Christian.  I'm not sure the percentage but it has to be high.  Using the figures found here, if I combine the percentage of protestants, Catholics and other Christian denominations and I come up with 76.9% who consider themselves Christian in the US. (I didn't count Mormons as Christian as they really aren't but that would just increase the number.)  So, a little more than 3/4 of the US is made up of people who would be considered Christians and I think there is actually a greater percentage of them in the area where I live.  My point is that the sender would have an excellent chance of reaching another Christian with this message not a non-believer.  (Yes, it is ironic that she did reach a non-believer with her message but that isn't really the issue here)

So, was she attempting to reach a person in the 25% who are not Christian - or the even smaller percentage who have no religious affiliation at all - or is she not aware of the statistics? Perhaps she has fallen into the trap of believing that Christians are the minority in the US or the world. See, for whatever reason, even though the vast majority of people here in the US have the same (or similar enough) religious views, Christians seem to feel that they are the minority AND that they are oppressed, as well.  (See this post on the War on Christmas for reference if you need one)

So, why does the majority continue to act as if they are in the minority? Even among the religions of the world, Christianity is the largest group so it isn't that.  Yes, there are places in the world where one can be persecuted for being a Christian - or for being anything but a member of the accepted faith - but I really don't think this is it as it doesn't affect a person living in the US on a daily basis.

I think it is deeper than that and I think it comes from the Bible, itself.  2 Timothy 3:12 tells us that all Christians will be persecuted and Matthew 5:10-12 tells Christians, basically, that they are blessed that they are oppressed and insulted but they should be glad because they will be rewarded in heaven. Those are just two examples, by the way.  There are several more if you want to Google it.

Yes, the Bible, tells the believers that they will be persecuted and while this certainly was the case in the early church it is not an issue in the US today. Christians are the vast majority in the United States and they certainly are not being discriminated against nor oppressed here. Isn't it about time they stopped playing the victim and accepted this fact?  I think it is time for common sense to prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment