Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, November 15, 2012

R.I.P Thanksgiving?

A couple years ago, I complained - loudly - about the fact that our local radio station started playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving.  They played nothing but Christmas music 24/7 until Christmas.  I thought they were pushing things.

Well today I was sitting at work, listening to the local radio station, and I realized that they are playing Christmas music.  ALL Christmas music. It is a week before Thanksgiving!  What the heck happened to Thanksgiving?

For years we've been hearing about The "War" on Christmas from conservative media sources.  Well, now it appears that there is a War on Thanksgiving!

  • Several stores aren't waiting until Black Friday for their holiday sales but are opening in the evening on Thanksgiving this year
  • I've seen houses with Christmas lights up that the homeowners actually turn on at night already!  I've nothing against putting them up when the weather is nicer but don't light the darn things until the holiday  season begins!
  • I drove past a house the other day with a Christmas tree up inside - and it was decorated and lit!
  • Christmas music is playing in stores and on the radio!
  • Stores are already decorating for Christmas!
Now, I enjoy the Christmas season as much as anyone does who isn't a Christian.  I enjoy the pine and holly decorations and strings of lights glowing in the dark of winter and gatherings with family members.  I enjoy giving gifts to others and like to see the expression on their faces when they open them.  I even enjoy shopping to find the perfect gift for a loved one! (and I hate shopping generally)

I do think there can be too much of a good thing, however. As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to hear Christmas music or see Christmas decorations until two weeks prior to the holiday. I'll even give you more than that if you insist!  Start the day after Thanksgiving if you have to!  But let's not forget Thanksgiving! 

It's a lovely holiday itself! The football games, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, the family gathering for the feast, the autumn decorations and the remembrance of the first Thanksgiving long ago are all worthy of celebration and should not be overlooked.

2 comments:

  1. We obviously don't have Thanksgiving over here, but we DO have the same problem with folks putting up their decs and playing Christmas songs on the radio in the middle of November. Completely daft! And why can I not post messages on here anonymously or by linking to my own domain (or even Xanga)... I want to link to my proper blog, not my kidney one!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! The nonsense is universal, then!

      and... I changed my settings a while back so maybe that's why. I'll take a look at it. I didn't want a bunch of anonymous people posting comments but since hardly anyone comments here anyway, I don't think it'll be an issue. If it is, I'll just moderate them.

      Delete