Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

No More Twinkies?!?


A note to my readers:  I wrote this post after Hostess had requested to file for bankruptcy but before the judge ordered mediation between the company and its employees.  I'm not going to go back and alter the post again - as I already did so once when the Canadian company spoke up telling everyone they could get the products through them. Just keep in mind the time frame if something isn't accurate. Thanks! 

I'm sure everyone has heard by now that Hostess Brands, maker of Wonder Bread, Twinkies and Ding Dongs will be shutting its doors.  Most new sources are quick to point out that we may not have seen the end of some of their more popular products as other companies could buy the rights to make them themselves.

I also heard that there is a Canadian manufacturer who has the rights to make many of the Hostess products in Canada and this company will still be making them. So you might still be able to get your Ding Dongs, Ho Hos and Twinkies if you order them from that company.  It's thought that the company might look into opening some factories in the US to make them, as well, as there is now a market for them.

In any event, I'm going to focus on the Twinkie today in my post. I think all or most of us are familiar with that particular Hostess product.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Twinkie. They've been reformulated over the years to the extent that I don't think they are anything like the originals - though I'm way too young to know for sure! They look the same but I'm sure the flavor has changed - especially with the addition of the high fructose corn syrup and such.

Interesting facts about the Twinkie:
  • Twinkies were invented in 1930 by James A. Dewar. He wanted to find a product to make on the strawberry shortcake machines which sat idle when strawberries were out of season.
  • The cream filling in a Twinkie used to be banana creme.  During World War II, bananas were rationed so the manufacturer switched to vanilla creme.
  • The Twinkie was Archie Bunker's favorite in his lunch kettle on the TV show All In The Family 
  • "Twinkie defense" is the name given to an unlikely legal defense and stems from the trial of Dan White who was charged with the murders of Harvey Milk and George Moscone in San Fransisco in the late 1970s.
  • Twinkies appeared in the movies Ghostbusters and Zombieland. (These are the ones I'm familiar with.  Let me know if there are more that you know of!)
  • Woody Harrelson's character in Zombieland had to eat a Twinkie which caused a problem because Harrelson is a vegan so he couldn't eat a real Twinkie. They had to make a vegan version for him to eat for the taping.

Finally, if you really truly think you'll miss eating Twinkies you can always make your own! There are several recipes around the internet but I thought this one looked promising.  I'm thinking they might actually taste better than the ones you could buy, anyway, as we don't add preservatives and odd sweeteners when we cook!

Image taken by Evan-Amos and found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment