Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Weekly News Magazine Goes All Digital

It is not uncommon for a news magazine to have a digital version.  I know that Time does, for example.  In fact, it isn't uncommon for any magazine now days to have a digital version.  It is, after all, the wave of the future.

Well, Newsweek has just announced that they will be discontinuing their print copy after 80 years in print! This will take place sometime early next year (2013).

I must admit that I'm rather shocked but not entirely surprised. With the popularity of tablet devices and electronic readers, the print copies of magazines and newspapers are not selling like they once were.  It is a new world, after all, and companies have to evolve to stay in business or they will fail.

Newsweek is quick to point out that their journalism will remain strong regardless of how their articles are published. The article quotes a Pew study from last month that indicates that 39% of us get our news online and say they are just moving with the times.

I have to wonder if Time magazine will be the next to follow Newsweek.  I've always preferred Time though I did finally discontinue my subscription to the magazine earlier this year after years of reading it.  I, too, have moved on and oftentimes get my news from other sources. (Online news sites and NPR radio are my main sources.)

When I was younger, there were 3 major weekly news magazines:  Time, Newsweek and US News and World Report.  US News is the one my parents subscribed to. It is now out of print and only available online. (since 2011)  Odd that I never even realized this until I Googled it.  I guess it had declined significantly over the years and I lost track.

Change can be difficult but we can't let fear keep us from moving forward.  I'm anxious to see if Newsweek's gamble will pay off.  I certainly will be rooting for them.

What do you think?  Is the Pew Study indicative of your habits?  Where do you get your news?  Radio? Television? Online?  Or in print?

Image found here

No comments:

Post a Comment