It seems abundantly clear that Mitt Romney will say whatever he feels is necessary to get himself elected. Don't believe me? Let's look at his track record.
I'm going to start by taking a look at his stance on abortion because it is easy to track.
- In 1994, when running for Ted Kennedy's seat in the Senate, Romney said, "abortion should be safe and legal in this country". He also noted the Roe v. Wade was the law and that he thought we should support it.
- In 2000, when he ran for Governor in Massachusetts, his stance remained the same.
- In 2005, he declared, "I am pro-life" in a piece he wrote for the Boston Globe. He also stated that he thought that the individual states should decide whether to make abortion legal in their own jurisdiction which implies that he disagrees with Roe v. Wade.
- During the Republican primary earlier this year, Romney indicated that he supports the idea of a Constitutional amendment banning abortion.
- In August he stated in an interview with Scott Pelley, "I'm in favor of abortion being legal in the case of rape and incest, and the health and life of the mother."
- Earlier this month, he told the Des Moines Register, "There is no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda".
- His campaign was quick to "clarify" that Romney "would of course support legislation aimed at providing greater protections for life."
Now, I've no problem with a pro-life individual running as pro-life. That's fine. My problem is when a person pretends to hold different views than he does to get elected and that is exactly what Mitt Romney has done. Don't believe me? Ask his wife, Ann Romney.
“I’m happy to say that. Mitt has always been a pro-life person. He governed when he ran pro-choice--”Ann Romney might be alright with her husband's actions but I find it reprehensible - especially on such an important issue such as the rights of women.
Mitt Romney seems to think that the voters are stupid and that we won't check into whether his positions have changed or not over the years. Heck, the man doesn't even think that we will check into what he said last week to see if it is different than what he is saying this week! I say that the voters of this nation are savvy and that we can and will hold him accountable. Abortion is just one issue that he has waffled on.
- Romney has flip-flopped on gay rights.
- Romney supported the idea of an individual healthcare mandate before he decided he didn't.
- Romney does and doesn't support privatization of social security.
- Romney has been a hunter all his life and isn't really a hunter.
- Romney supported amnesty for illegal immigrants, then didn't.
And that's just a few! Who knows what the man believes or what he intends to try to do once in office? The only thing I'm certain of is that when Mitt ran for office in Massachusetts, he leaned to the left and now that he is running for President, he is suddenly conservative. I've no idea what he truly believes and I don't think he even does!
It is crystal clear that Mitt Romney feels that Americans stupid and easily mislead. It is obvious that the man will say anything to get into office and that makes him a very dangerous man, indeed.
Image found here