Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Presidential Debate 2

Last night, the second Presidential debate was held last night at Hofstra University on Long Island, New York.  It was a town hall style meeting with questions asked by people local to that area who state they are undecided as to who they will vote for.

If you missed it, you can catch the entire thing here.  I'm sure highlights and summaries are available all over the place.

The second Presidential debate sure was something else, to say the least!  What a slug fest!

Here are some of my observations:
  • If I were moderating the session, I'm sure I would have lost my temper at some point and told both candidates off! I realize that people who run for an office such as President of the United States must have larger than usual egos, but that doesn't mean that you have to be rude and disregard the rules of the debate!  I think Candy Crowley did a good job considering the circumstances.
  • Lorraine is not an uncommon name.  I can't believe that neither candidate got the woman's name right the first time!
  • The "binder full of women" remark certainly lit up the Twittersphere!  I have to admit that I did laugh about that unintentionally humorous phrase from Gov. Romney and the image it suggested!
  • Toward the end of the debate it appeared that Romney was attempting to link single parents homes to gun violence in some way.  This seriously pissed me off and I had to listen to the end of the debate this morning as I was so enraged I missed what was said after that remark last night! 
  • I hope that both candidates go back and watch their performances so that they can see how trying to talk over each other is detrimental to the audience who truly want to hear what they have to say!  I know that several times I just left the room for a minute or two because of this behavior.
  • An added advantage of this was that I got a load of laundry folded and did up a few dishes that were in the sink from after dinner snacks and drinks.  But I digress...
  • As an Obama supporter, I was pleased to see that  he did more than just stand by while Romney said things that may have been less than totally truthful.  I will admit that Obama did stretch the truth himself at times but -in my very biased opinion- I don't think that he was as misleading as Romney was. 
  • Side note: Wouldn't it be wonderful if a candidate for President could be completely honest?  I suppose I'll have to see pigs fly first. I don't think the public really wants to hear the truth if it is something they won't like.
Jonathan Capehart from the Washington Post feels that the debate was won by Obama while Joe Klein from Time magazine says there was no clear winner. My opinion is that Obama soundly beat Romney this time around.  Of course, as I've often stated, I am a confirmed Obama supporter so we have to take that bias into account.  

I'd be interested in seeing what others think about this! Let me know what you think!

Image obtained here

No comments:

Post a Comment