Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Insomnia

It is currently 4:15 am.  I am not intentionally awake.  I would rather be sleeping.  Unfortunately all too often I am finding myself awake in the middle of the night.  At the moment I'm not sure what to do as I need to be up in the morning at 7:00 so I certainly cannot consider taking anything. I've thought of trying warm milk but I'm not sure I could drink it.  It sounds nasty.

I Googled my problem and I see that it is called middle-of-the-night insomnia.  I have no problem falling asleep - in fact I'm exhausted by 9:30 at night most nights - but then between 2:00 and 4:00 I wake up and can't get back to sleep.  This happens most nights now and then I feel tired during the day and I think it is starting to affect my productivity which is not good.

The Mayo clinic has an article about my problem. It lists some things one can do to resolve a sleep problem like mine.  Most of them are things I already do - avoid caffeine after noon, for example - in fact the only thing I don't have is a regular bedtime routine and I don't do yoga to relax.  I don't have a problem falling asleep, however, I have a problem staying asleep so I can't see a routine helping. Still, I suppose I'll try it just so I can say I did.  I'm not going to try the yoga, however.  It'll try moderate stretching.

I'm going to try to go back to sleep now. Maybe I can get a couple more hours in if I'm lucky.

Do any of you have a sleep problem?  Do you have any advice? Any advice from my readers would be greatly appreciated as I'm out of them besides those I mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment