Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Birthday Traditions

It's my birthday today and this made me think about some of the traditions associated with birthdays and birthday celebrations.

For example, did you know that the song Happy Birthday to You came from a song called Good Morning to All which was written by two sisters, Patty and Mildred Hill in 1893? (Wikipedia article) Hard to believe that song has been around for so long...  Isn't it about time for a new one?

Anyhoo... I was thinking of some of the odder birthday traditions.  Practically everyone has a birthday cake with candles they blow out and presents are given. People often send cards to the birthday boy or girl.  That's normal.  But what about pulling an earlobe once for each year with one extra "to grow on"?  That's something that my family has done for years. I looked it up and found that this is not unusual in certain parts of the world. (according to Wikipedia) I'm not sure how my family came to do this but we don't come from Brazil, Argentina, Hungary nor Italy so I'm not sure why we do this! The article also mention birthday punches, bumps and spanks!

I think I'll stick to gentle earlobe tugging.  It sounds less violent!

Does your family have any unusual birthday traditions?

Image found here


No comments:

Post a Comment