Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Where I rediscover that nothing good comes easy.

If you recall from my recent post, Goodbye DirecTV;  Hello Comcast, we now have Comcast cable television in our house.  By that I mean that we have been hooked up and that we currently receive some channels over the cable - including some of our local channels in HD - but... there is a problem.

We signed up for what I'd call the middle package.  Not all the bells and whistles such as HBO and such, but more than the basic and starter.  (It's called Digital Preferred, if you are familiar with Comcast)  Well, we currently can view our local channels - in HD, even - and all the regular channels in what they call the Digital Starter package but not the HD channels in that package.  We cannot view any of the Digital Preferred channels.

K called Comcast late afternoon Saturday to report this and was told that he should wait at least 24 hours for everything to load.  Alright.  So, we waited until Monday after work - over 48 hours - and called again.  The customer service rep said he was going to "ping" our box and to give it half an hour.  All should be fine.

It wasn't.

We called back and were told the same thing.  Tried again. Nothing. Called again - customer service rep told us to unplug box and plug back in.  Didn't work.  Called back and we now have an appointment for someone to come out to look at it today between 5 and 7.

I mentioned this situation to my daughter who informed me that they had to get 3 different boxes switched out before they got one that worked from Comcast.  I am not at all amused by this revelation.

I understand that Comcast re-uses the boxes that they get back from customers when they cancel their service. This makes sense, obviously. I have to wonder why they don't test all the boxes when they get them back. Wouldn't it save them time and money to do so?  So far we've made 4 phone calls to service reps and now a technician has to come out to the house a 2nd time.  If we had received a working box in the first place, we could have avoided all this.  Not to mention, I'd feel a lot better about Comcast, which is invaluable to a company I would imagine.

And I missing something here?

In any event, I hope by this time tomorrow our issues are resolved and we can enjoy the television we signed up for.  Wish us luck!

Update:  Our problem has been resolved!  Please read the comments on this post to find out the details if you are interested.

Image courtesy of 3bAaV6rnoc (Own work) [CC-BY-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

4 comments:

  1. I apologize for the trouble. I'd like to help in getting this resolved for you. Please feel free to contact me, provide your account info and a link to this page as a point of reference.

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm impressed you went out of your way to respond to my problem!
      The issue has been resolved. When the service tech came back out to the house he realized almost immediately that it was not an equipment problem. It was an account problem.
      He called his boss and had her call and explain the issue to customer service. It took a bit of time, but the problem is now fixed. He was courteous enough to stay here until it was resolved and we really appreciated it.

      Thanks, again.

      (I'll put this in an email to you just in case you don't get an notification of my reply here)

      Delete
  2. Now I'm curious. How was this an account problem? What needed to be changed to fix the problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically, our account was set up as if we had purchased the Digital starter package without HD - not Digital Preferred with HD.

      Any of the customer service people we talked to on the phone should have been able to see this but none of them did - even though I described in detail what we were able to receive and what message came up on the channels were weren't receiving that we should have been able to. I even mentioned, specifically, that it looked like we were receiving the Digital Starter package without the HD channels and this didn't help them find the problem.

      What annoys me still is that this issue could have been resolved Monday night but we had to wait until Wednesday for a resolution.

      We were told that we would receive a partial credit for the days we weren't receiving what we were paying for so we'll see if this happens.

      Delete