Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The special ones

I've noticed something and the more I think about it, the more I am troubled.  When something truly horrible happens- whether it is a natural disaster or a not-so-natural tragedy- and lives are lost but some people survive, there are survivors who will say that they were saved by divine intervention.

This is not uncommon. I've heard tornado victims spout this as well as survivors of shooting rampages. We all have.  The media just loves these people so we hear these stories again and again.

I understand.  When many are around you who have not lived, I believe it is human nature to try to figure out why you were spared.  I do get this.  The problem I have is this:  If you are saying that your god saved you, aren't you also saying that the same god decided to allow the others to die?

I'm sorry, but... what makes you think that you are so special that you were spared while others were killed?

What do you think the family members of those who died think of your special status?  I'm fairly sure they might not quite see it your way.  Think about it.  It just seems like such a vain statement and so hurtful to others.

I'm sorry, but how do you justify this?  Is this really how you think it works?

No comments:

Post a Comment