Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, June 8, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines XVII

I'm going to start off with a bit of science news this morning!  Remember back when you were young and your parents would take you to visit your elderly relatives?  I certainly do!  We'd visit my grandparents once a week and frequently went to see my great-aunt, as well.  One thing I remember from those visits was what my sister and I would call "old person smell".  Well, it turns out that scientists have proven that our body scent does change as we age! Not only that, but it appears that we are able to identify elderly people from younger people by their scent alone! I seriously always thought that this was because of the application of Ben Gay or other products that older people tend to use.  Now I know that there is more to it!

In political news, Governor Scott Walker has prevailed in the Wisconsin recall election. I was actually quite surprised by this until I heard that Walker's campaign spent so much more money than Barrett's did and that Barrett didn't actually campaign on union rights (Did he not get the memo?!?) and that 60% of Wisconsin voters disapprove of a recall except in cases of gross misconduct and 10% believe they are never appropriate. So... I'm not sure that this election tells us anything about what is going to happen in the fall in Wisconsin or any place else, for that matter. (Despite what some pundits would like us to believe.)

Moving on to what seems to be turning into a regular feature here (Would it be crass to entitle this section "Guess who died this week!"? Yes, I suppose it would be.) I was saddened to hear that author Ray Bradbury has died. I was first introduced to his writing when I was required to read Fahrenheit 451 in high school. I quickly became a fan.  Neil Gaiman has a lovely tribute to him on his blog.  Do take the time to listen to his reading of "The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury", a short story he wrote for Mr. Bradbury as a 91st birthday present.

And finally, some good news.  Another federal judge has struck down a section of DOMA (the Defense of Marriage Act) as unconstitutional. A step in the right direction, certainly.




No comments:

Post a Comment