Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, May 25, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines XV

I'm going to start off this week with some good news!  Well... it's good news for a coffee-aficionado like me. A new study seems to indicate that coffee drinkers may live longer than non-coffee drinkers! Yes. I know what you are thinking: There have been many different studies over the years that indicate that coffee isn't good for you and later studies showing that those studies may be incorrect.  You are absolutely right.  I did, however, feel compelled to mention this particular study as coffee has gotten such a bad rap over the years.  As with any scientific study, the results will be examined and others will try to disprove them - because this is how science works.  I'll be curious to see if this study holds up through this process but we'll have to wait and see.

I was saddened to hear that Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees has died after a long struggle with cancer.  I can't say that I was surprised to hear this as he has not looked well at all in recent months but I was hoping he'd be able to overcome his disease. It was not to be.  I know I said last week that Donna Summer provided the soundtrack to my middle school years but the Bee Gees contributed enormously to it as well.  I do hope that this sort of mention will not become a regular feature of my blog every week.  I'm not sure that I could get used to that.

In other news, the shoe company, Skechers, has lost a lawsuit and will have to reimburse people who purchased some of their shoes.  It seems that they made certain claims that some of their sneakers would help the wearer to get in shape but there is no proof that these claims have any basis in truth.  If you purchased any Skechers over the years, you might want to check into this. Once again a company has learned that you cannot make claims that cannot be backed up with evidence.  In light of this sort of settlement, I do have to wonder how holistic medicine companies manage to stay in business when their "medications" have no effect on a person's health at all.

In rather silly news, I came across this article about an epic battle in a Seattle park in the middle of the night! It seems that a couple people were swinging pooper-scoopers at each other in a fight that lasted around 20-30 minutes. There were no reports of any injuries so I don't feel bad at all about chuckling over this particular incident. I'm just glad I wasn't the officer who responded to it as I'm sure I would have felt compelled to giggle.

I'm sure almost everyone has heard by now that Facebook stock does not appear to be doing well.  Worse, some people are actually suing Facebook over allegedly misleading some of their investors. Sounds like not buying Facebook stock was the best choice in this case - not that I seriously considered doing so.

And finally, today is Towel Day - the day we set aside time to appreciate the work of the late Douglas Adams.  He is most famous for writing the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Do you know where your towel is?  (Mine is going along to work with me today.  Yes.  I really am that strange, I'm afraid.)

No comments:

Post a Comment