Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, May 18, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines XIV

Quick question:  What is your favorite dinosaur?  Mine?  It's always been the triceratops! (I've no idea why...) That may be why this science story caught my eye this week.  Scientists are speculating that the triceratops may not be a different species at all but might actually be a younger version of the torosaurus!  (I'm not a huge dinosaur fan so I had to look that one up.) I have to say that I certainly can see a resemblance.  I guess we'll have to wait while the scientists continue to collect data, debate this subject and come to a conclusion.  First Pluto and now this...

Moving on, I was alarmed and quite skeptical when I first heard that Kodak had a nuclear reactor in the basement of one of their buildings in Rochester, New York for years! Worse, it seems they didn't feel compelled to notify local authorities that it existed.  There is no need for concern now as it was dismantled in 2006 but one has to wonder how a company managed to obtain that radioactive material without all the proper authorities being notified!  Another article explains a bit more about why they had the reactor and what it was used for but I'm still struck with the possibilities of what could have happened if something had gone wrong!  This also makes me wonder if there are other small reactors in other places that we are unaware of!

Well, it is finally going to happen.  After months of waiting, Facebook is finally going public today.  It appears that shares will cost you $38 each so it isn't going to go cheap - at least not at first.  I have to admit that I'm skeptical about whether the company is worth $104 billion but I guess if the public will buy the shares, then that settles that issue.  You won't find me putting my money in Facebook stock, however.  I'm not convinced that it is worth the price and I'm really not much of a gambler in the first place.

I was saddened to hear of the death of singer Donna Summer of lung cancer yesterday.  She really was the queen of disco music!  You could hardly turn the channel on the radio without hearing one of her hits in the mid 70s. She definitely provided the soundtrack for much of my middle school years. I'm sure that her music will be played quite a bit over the next several days and I'm looking forward to that.

In political news, it appears that George W Bush has endorsed Mitt Romney...  as the elevator doors closed...  while he was chatting with a reporter.  This prompted many in the news media to call it the least enthusiastic endorsement they've seen and I have to agree that this is up there on that list!  Our former president has been staying out of the spotlight since leaving office so I guess he didn't intend any sort of public announcement like the one his parents gave Romney.  Still, it seems a bit odd that he didn't bother with a small press conference or something of the sort.

Finally, frequent visitors might notice that my newspaper image for my "Ripped from the Headlines" posts has changed this week.  Last week when I placed my link for my post on Google+ one of my readers commented on the headline on that paper and it reminded me that I had always wanted to find a better image that was more neutral.  I found a piece of clip-art that I am free to use and alter to my needs and so I now have a new image for my news posts!  I'm sure I'm more excited by this than you are but sometimes it's the little things that make us happiest.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment