Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, May 11, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines XIII

I've a lot to talk about this week so let's get right to it!

First off, I am still giddy after the news I heard late Wednesday that President Obama has stated that he supports same-sex marriage!  Now there are some who see this as some sort of political grandstanding but I really can't totally see it that way.  It seems to me that pro-LGBT folks already would vote for Obama over Romney so, if anything, this move might cost him votes.  Regardless of any outcome of this statement, I still have to say that it would have been safer to wait until after the election to say this so I think our President is really brave to speak up now - even if some say he had no choice after VP Biden made similar statements.  Kudos to the commander-in-chief!

USA Today reported earlier this week that the national Christmas tree that was planted on the White House lawn has died.  It replaced the previous tree which was destroyed by high winds in February of last year making it the second of such trees to die since Obama took office.  A friend of mine has quipped that he wonders how long before certain media outlets start making statements about President Obama declaring a war on Christmas.............. trees. (ba-DUM-dum)

In more serious news, I was saddened to hear of the death of the author Maurice Sendak who many will recognize as the author of Where the Wild Things Are and many other children's books.  Of course I remember that particular book and several others he wrote but for some reason - and I've no idea why - I always preferred Chicken Soup With Rice. (I'm really not a huge fan of actual chicken soup and especially not the kind with rice but I guess that is irrelevant.) I think I'll order some of his books for my granddaughter so she can enjoy them as well.  What are some of your favorite Maurice Sendak books?

On the political scene, it is now old news that Newt Gingrich has dropped out of the GOP race so it appears that - most likely - Mitt Romney will win his party's nomination for President. I say "most likely" because there are still some Ron Paul supporters out there who think that Paul has some sort of backroom delegate-collecting scheme up his sleeve or some such nonsense.  I'm not going to argue with them.  We'll just see what happens at the convention, alright?

Now Mitt Romney is not the Presidential candidate that I would prefer to win the election - as I'm sure surprises no one - but I really had to seriously wonder about this next article I came across.  It seems that some of Gov. Romney's former classmates had some stories about some pranks that he pulled as a student. Now I realize that boys will be boys but, frankly, I'm a little concerned about one of these "pranks".  It almost sounds like he was more of a bully than a prankster but I'm not exactly an unbiased individual in this case so you are free to draw your own conclusions.

This next story out of Arizona has me wondering if they live in the same century in that state.  Again.  Seriously - what the heck is going on out there?  Is the heat getting to folks or what?!?

No, it's not what you might think.  I'm not going to mention the fact that the governor has banned public funding of Planned Parenthood in the state.  Well.  I did mention it but I"m not going to elaborate.

What I'm talking about is a story about a girl who plays baseball for her high school team.  She attends a prep school called Mesa Preparatory Academy.  Her school has no girls softball team so she tried out and made the baseball team.  That team has made the state finals.  The problem?  The other team that made the finals from Our Lady of Sorrows Academy has decided to forfeit the game because they refuse to play against a team with a female player.  Seriously.  Story here.  All I'm going to say is that I find this absurd.  Baseball isn't a contact sport so I can't imagine what the problem is.  I feel sorry for all the players on both teams who worked hard and deserved to play that game.  Shame on those school officials who decided to make an issue over a player's gender.

Moving on to lighter fare, I came across this story out of the UK about a company that attempted to send a well-wishing form letter to an employee on his or her last day at work and accidentally sent it to 1,300 workers.  I'm sure the error was promptly corrected but I imagine that quite a few employees were taken aback when they received it!

And finally for all the Dr. Who fans out there, I found this small article about a company that has invented - or created, rather - an actual sonic screwdriver! I guess we can say that this is a case of life imitating art, right?  Or... borrowing ideas from art...  or television... or whatever.

Have a nice weekend, folks!

Image is in the public domain and was found here

No comments:

Post a Comment