Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, April 13, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines XII

Last week I started off with a warning to MAC users about a virus targeting those computers.  This week, I have another warning to MAC users:  If you discovered your machine was infected and used the Kaspersky Lab removal tool, it may not have solved your problem.  I'll leave you to check that out if it applies to you.

Moving on...  I have marvelous news from the world of science!  It appears that scientists may have been successful in developing a cancer vaccine!  More tests need to be done, but it appears that this vaccine targets a molecule found in 90% of all cancers. The vaccine would be used to destroy cancer cells in a patient and prevent the spread of the disease throughout the body.  Scientists are cautiously optomistic and state that these are early results and have yet to be published so we shouldn't get too excited yet. I'm really hopeful that this turns into something we can use down the road!  Hooray for science!

The Canadian mint has released the first coin in a series of limited edition glow-in-the-dark quarters! I am not making this up.  They feature the images of various dinosaurs and, when you turn out the lights, their skeletons glow!  I want to mock the Canadians for such an outlandish idea but I just can't.  I think this is just too cool to pan. I'd ask why the US hasn't come up with an idea like this but I think we all know the answer:  We take our currency (and ourselves) way too seriously here to consider something this fun. 

In politics, I'm sure everyone has heard by now that Rick Santorum has ended his bid for the Presidency, effectively making Mitt Romney the Republican nominee this time around.  Santorum stated that he was suspending his campaign but that he 'isn't done fighting'.  I'm not entirely sure what he means by that - and perhaps he isn't exactly sure himself.  Some are speculating that he will consider running in 2016 if Romney doesn't win the general election.  I think it is really too early to tell, to be honest.

So!  I guess now we can spend our time discussing who Romney will choose as his running mate.  I'm practically positive that it will be a woman if at all possible. Other than that, I would find it difficult to speculate as to who will be asked.  What do you all think?


Image is in the public domain and was found here

No comments:

Post a Comment