Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, March 30, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines! X

I want to start off with an update on an issue I've been following since January when the PA House of Representatives declared 2012 "The Year of the Bible". There were some rumblings about some Congresspeople possibly trying to overturn the resolution in February, but nothing has come of that. Now here in March the resolution is in the news, again!  The Freedom From Religion Foundation has decided to sue the state on behalf of several Pennsylvanians who think this is inappropriate. Frankly I'm a little surprised. The resolution was tabled when it got to the state Senate (no doubt because of the controversy involved) so I wouldn't think that the state could be sued over a resolution that was passed by only the House but not the Senate. I guess we'll see what the courts say!

Let's turn our attention to another "proud moment" for the PA state legislature that has recently come to light. (Yes.  I am being sarcastic.) Examination of the recently-passed Act 13 concerning hydraulic fracking in the state, reveals an interesting clause. When a doctor is investigating whether or not chemicals used in the fracking process have caused a patient's symptoms, he or she can request and receive information about which chemicals are involved in the process.  However, the doctor will have to sign confidentiality agreement not to disclose what these chemicals are to anyone else including the patient!  I don't know about you, but a big red flag went up for me when I heard this news.  One has to wonder exactly what it is that the fracking industry is trying to hide. My state representatives will definitely be hearing from me on this matter.  I think the public has a right to know what chemicals are being pumped into the ground around us!

In science news, I found a fascinating article this week about cattle!  DNA testing seems to suggest that all modern cattle can be traced back to a single flock that lived 10,500 years ago! It is udderly utterly amazing what the study of DNA can reveal!

Speaking of amazing science:  Scientists have created "dry water"!  Tiny droplets of water are surrounded by a silicon coating creating a substance that resembles powdered sugar. Not only are there various uses for this dry water but this technology may be able to be used to store and transport potentially harmful liquids, as well!

Finally, we take a look at the Republican Presidential Primary. The Louisiana primary last Saturday went to Santorum. This was the only contest since we last looked so let's examine the Republican Delegate count.  Despite Santorum's win, Romney is still quite a bit out ahead as far as delegates go. Still, he is less than halfway to the 1144 delegates he would need to win the nomination.  I'm beginning to think that Newt Gingrich might be right that this will go all the way to the convention!  I certainly hope not as even I am tiring of this spectacle!

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go take my temperature. When I start to agree with Newt on anything it might be a sign that I am getting ill.

Image is in the public domain and was found here

No comments:

Post a Comment