Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, March 2, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines VI

This first item isn't really a news story but I found this interesting gem that made me look at police searches in a different way. It would never have occurred to me to not allow an officer to search me (or my car, bag, etc) if requested - as I can't imagine I'd have anything to hide - but after reading this I might think twice before allowing one. I guess this proves I don't think like a lawyer, doesn't it?

I was saddened to hear of the death of Davy Jones a couple days ago at 66. That seems too young, doesn't it?  I wasn't really ever a Monkees fan as they were slightly before my time  but I was certainly aware of them.  I think this might have to do with Marsha's obsession with Davy Jones on the Brady Bunch.

In other sad news, I heard this week that Senator Olympia Snowe - a moderate Republican from Maine - will not be seeking reelection. She was definitely one of the "old school" politicians who knew how to work with people who didn't agree with her and find a compromise.  This sort of politics seems outdated these days with all the partisan divisions we have now.  It's really a shame she won't be around to show the newer members how it is done but perhaps this is a sign of the times.

Finally, I can't let a week go by without discussing politics - especially in a Presidential election year!  There were two Republican primaries this week - Michigan and Arizona.  Mitt Romney easily won the Arizona primary and squeaked out a win in Michigan as well. The Republican delegate count puts Romney squarely in the lead (no pun intended but I'm tickled with it nonetheless) with Rick Santorum in second place.  Still, technically, anyone could pull it out!

Romney and Santorum are busy arguing over which one of them appeals more to cross-over voters from the Democratic party.  It's a bit amusing as they condemn each other for appealing to more liberal minds while at the same time each is trying to attract those voters themselves.  Sounds like a tricky dance step to me...

And finally, I just have to wonder just what Rick Santorum has against education! He called President Obama a snob for suggesting that people should be able to go to college - and misrepresented what the President has actually has said, by the way.  Thing is... Rick Santorum has 3 degrees himself!  So what he appears to have a problem with is others educating themselves.  I am very suspicious of people who imply that there is no value in seeking knowledge especially when that person is highly educated him or herself. Is he afraid that people might learn how to think for themselves? It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Finally, it seems that Sarah Palin is getting tired of how long the Republican primary is going on without a clear front-runner. I have to disagree with Palin.  I enjoy watching the petty bickering.  Of course, I don't have a horse in this particular race so I can sit back and watch this time around.  I know who I'm voting for this fall and I have my bumpersticker!

Image is in the public domain and was found here

No comments:

Post a Comment