Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Drill, Baby, Drill? Not So Fast...

You know how some Presidential candidates tell us that reducing our dependence on foreign oil will help lower gas prices here in the US?  (and, therefore, we should drill more at home?)  Well... not so fast folks!  Turns out that it just doesn't work that way!

I came across this article...
 Well, alright.  I didn't "come across" it. It appeared in my Google + stream this morning when Chris Clark posted it.  Have you tried Google +?  You really should...  but I digress...
The AP (Associated Press) conducted a statistical analysis and it is clear that US oil production - and demand - have very little to do with the price of fuel!  There is very little that the US can do to make a difference unless we work with other countries.  It is obviously a world market and the sooner we face that fact, the better.

So if you hear a candidate for President - or for any office - talking about how he or she is going to change gas prices, don't fall for it!  There is very little any of us can do to change what we pay for gas!
You know... we may not be able to control the price that we are paying for gas but there are things we can do - right now - to affect how much gasoline we purchase!
This article tells us about 29 things we can do to make a difference.  Some of them seem a bit petty or silly, but I guess every little bit helps! I'm going to give some of them a try!  Just reducing my speed to the speed limit makes a huge difference in my mpg, I've noticed, so that combined with braking smarter will help.
I think what we need to take away from all this is that if a candidate is making statements about how they are going to reduce what we pay for gasoline, they are full of it!  It doesn't matter which party is in office or how acquainted he or she is with the oil industry.  There is very little the President can do to change the price of gas!

Image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment