Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl Halftime Show

I don't know about you but I thoroughly enjoyed the halftime show featuring Madonna yesterday during the Super Bowl.   I didn't notice the obscene gesture that one of the performers flashed, by the way, so it seems silly that this is what most every news source was talking about today.  I have to wonder if anyone actually noticed it without being told it was there... but I digress.  I thought the show was fun, flashy and a terrific mix of older songs and new.

It appears that many critics disagree with me.  I've seen reviews complaining that the show was bland, that Madonna is "too old" to be playing a cheerleader and that there was no overriding theme to the show. Oh!  and don't forget the compliant that the music was pop.

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with all of these complaints.  There is no way the show could have been "bland" with the Cirque de Soleil  performers all those flashy costumes! As for Madonna's not acting her age, that's ridiculous. She looks great and I hardly think she looks 53. As for a theme, the costumes seemed appropriate for the songs sung while they were worn.  Why must there be an over-riding theme?  And the complaint that her music was all pop?  Um... that's what Madonna sings.  You expected what?  Jazz?

Unfortunately, no matter what you think of Madonna's performance, it will be overshadowed by the obscene gesture by M.I.A.  I've no idea why the performer thought this was a good idea but seriously. She must have known that it would attract the wrong sort of attention.  Of course, they say there is no such thing as bad publicity and perhaps that is true. After all, I hadn't ever heard of her before and probably would still be unaware of her if she hadn't chosen to make that gesture.

Image courtesy of bilinkis

No comments:

Post a Comment