Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Speechless

I want to apologize for the absence of my voice here recently.  I reached a point where I was so shocked, dismayed and disoriented that I couldn't even think about attempting to articulate what was going on in my mind. It's like someone has punched me in the gut. Yes, that's what I felt like. As if someone knocked the wind right out of me.

I've regained my composure so let me try to explain. Those who are at all familiar with me know that issues I find important tend to boil down to human rights - whether they be LGBT rights or civil rights or simply the right of all people to be treated as human beings - not objects or property or as if they are disposable.

As a middle-class, white, straight woman living in the US, I am not usually discriminated against - unless we are talking about gender issues and that boils down to not receiving equal pay for equal jobs with men and occasionally having some uneducated backwoods hick think that my opinion doesn't count because I'm female. I have to admit that I don't come close to having to deal with what gay people or transgender people or even people of color have to put up with.  I'm extremely lucky and, quite frankly, with the news I've heard recently that the military is talking about reassessing the role of women in combat, I was thinking that women could start to say that we are almost there. I thought that, if we could garner enough attention, ERA passage might just happen in the next few years.

Then I started hearing things that disturbed me. I tried to ignore them but, like mosquitoes buzzing around my head, they forced me to pay attention to them.
I feel like I went to bed one night and woke up in Bizarro World!!  What is going on?!?  It's just one thing after another!

Since when did it become alright- again - to imply that women can't help discuss and decide what to do when the subject is birth control?  Are we back in the 60s?

How the hell did a candidate who is so anti-woman that I'm surprised he doesn't make his wife walk 3 steps behind him become a favorite in the Republican primaries?  What's next?  Laws that don't permit women to leave the house without a male family member?  A repeal of the 19th amendment?  Burqas?

Wake up and smell the coffee, America!  It's time to pay attention and voice your opinions. If you see something you don't like, say something! You can write a letter to the editor of your local paper or to your representatives or senators!  You can talk to your friends and co-workers!  Most importantly, remember that your vote is your voice! If you aren't registered to vote, what are you waiting for?!? We simply cannot allow ourselves to move backwards on women's rights!  

No comments:

Post a Comment