Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Monday, February 20, 2012

Saturday Six - February 18, 2012


[Keeping in mind that I'm an atheist and therefore don't attend many church services, I'll still participate with this week's quiz.]
1. When is the last time you attended a church service? Christmas Eve a couple years ago. 
2. At that time, had you been attending regularly, or was this a one-time attendance? More of a one-time thing. My sister is a bell choir director and needed some extra ringers for the service.  Since I used to play bells, she asked if I could help and I did.    
3. Based on your experience, what do you think church does best? Brings people together into a community. 
4. What do you think church is particularly bad at handling? Different beliefs and those who lack religious beliefs.  Most denominations/religions teach that their way is the only way. This, of course, causes a conflict when they are faced with others who feel that way about their own religion.
5. To what extent do you think a pastor should speak his mind about a political issue or candidate from the pulpit: not at all, some (if in moderation) or as much as he likes? I don't like the idea of a pastor endorsing any particular candidate or speaking too much about a political issue. That isn't really what people expect from their religious leaders - or I don't believe it is.  
6. Remember the last time you were really angry or upset by something you saw or heard at a church service: what made you feel that way? Nothing comes to mind.  I really haven't attended church regularly since I was a teenager but I don't remember anything that really upset me.
These are the Saturday Six from Patrick's Place.  (Patrick's website was down over the weekend so I'm only able to participate now.  I'll do the Sunday Seven at another time)

No comments:

Post a Comment