Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, February 17, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines IV

[I'd like to apologize for my absence most of this week.  I'm under the weather and my cold seems to have sapped all my creativity and ability to think.  I think I'm on the mend, now.]

Let's start off with some local news today.  You may recall that I commented on the PA house of representatives declaring 2012 the Year of the Bible several weeks ago.  It seems that some state lawmakers are crying foul!  This resolution was part of a group of "noncontroversial" resolutions passed all at once by the PA house and some of the representatives were surprised to find that this particular resolution was included.  Now some of them want the resolution reversed.  I'll be writing my representative, once again, and asking her to support the reversal. One does have to wonder how many bits of legislation are passed without being read and whether this should serve as an eye-opener to our representatives.

Moving on, I have a sad story to relate.  A couple are being charged in their son's death in Virginia.  It seems that they belong to a church that believes in faith healing and chose not to seek medical help for their son.  He died of a burst appendix.
The first thing that strikes me about this story is the parent's assertion that they were following their son's wishes in not calling for help - as if a 17 year-old boy should be making that sort of decision!  It is his parent's responsibility to look after his welfare!
The second thing that occurs to me is that this sort of illness is medically treatable and hardly anyone dies of a burst appendix now days.
The third thing is that the poor boy was ill for 2 1/2 days and he had to be in severe pain!  How could a loving parent sit still and watch their son suffer that way! I cannot comprehend this no matter what your beliefs are!
This boy's death was totally avoidable and this story is so tragic.

While we are on the subject of death, I'm sure that everyone has heard by now that Whitney Houston passed away last Saturday.  As is not unusual when a famous person passes away, the Governor of her home state, New Jersey, has requested that flags in the state be lowered to half-staff in her honor.  Turns out that there are those who have an issue with this.
Some people feel that this honor should be reserved for soldiers, fire fighters and police officers.  This is not the case in New Jersey, it appears, as Gov. Christie ordered flags lowered when Clarence Clemons [a sax player for Bruce Springsteen's band] passed away.
Others feel that Whitney was a drug addict and that she should not be honored. I do understand their point - that she was far from perfect.  That is true.  It did appear that she was getting her life in order, however - or at least attempting to. We don't know what caused her death and perhaps she did fall under the influence of drugs once again. What I do know is that hearing her sing brought a lot of joy to a whole lot of people and will continue to do so for years in the future. What I also know is that not one of us is perfect.  I, therefore, see no problem with Gov. Christie's actions. I'm not convinced that her drug addiction totally overruled all the positives in this situation.

Late yesterday I heard that there is finally a close to the underwear bomber case.  Umar Farouk Abdulmutaliab was sentenced to multiple life sentences.  It is a shame that he feels that god told him to take the measures he did and that he still feels he did the right thing.  I'm just glad that it didn't turn out the way he intended and result in multiple deaths.  Still, it is a sad reminder of what religious fanaticism can cause people to do.

Moving on to politics...  There were no primaries or caucuses this week so I've not heard a lot about the Republican primaries but there is a bit of hubbub over a particular Santorum ad which depicts Romney as a gun-toting, mud-slinger. [You can view the ad at that link] I have to admit that I did chuckle over the fact that the Santorum camp was able to come up with a decent Romney look-alike and I thought the ad was humorous. [though it may not be totally accurate]

Late breaking news!  A while back I mentioned a lawsuit concerning a prayer banner hung in a public school that had been won by the plaintiff, a 16 year-old student.  The school board had not publicly stated whether or not they would be appealing the decision but made that decision last night.  In a vote of 5-2, the board decided not to appeal the decision - and rightfully so as past decisions of this sort have shown that they would lose and spend a lot of money doing so.  Congratulations, Jessica, on a job well done!  I hope she can finally relax a little and that her detractors will find someone else to pick on now that this is over.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Image is in the public domain and was found here

No comments:

Post a Comment