Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, February 10, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines!! III

The Good:   First off, A California court has over-ruled Proposition 8, California's gay marriage ban, as unconstitutional! The ruling states that:
“Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples.”
Supporters of the ban say they will appeal.  I hope they do take it to the Supreme Court, to be honest.  I think that SCOTUS would agree with the lower court's ruling and perhaps we could put an end to this sort of discrimination once and for all!

In a second bit of good news,  Susan G Komen for the Cure reversed course on funding Planned Parenthood and Komen executive, Karen Handel, resigned in protest.  Turns out she really didn't agree that they should fund Planned Parenthood so she felt she couldn't stay on.

The Bad:   I do have to say that I really have heard some things about the Komen foundation that make me say, "hmm...", recently.  It appears that the organization considers "for the Cure" a phrase that only they can use and threatens legal action against other charities who use that phrase in their names. Other people question their executive salaries - though I've not heard factual figures so I'll refrain from offering an opinion on this [and also will mention that the Charity Navigator has given them 4 stars so they can't be all bad]- and why they partner with companies, like KFC, when that company's products might help to increase the risk for breast cancer. Frankly, I'm not sure that I trust them as much as I used to which is really a shame.

The Ugly:   Rick Santorum - the anti-gay, anti-choice, pompous, sanctimonious, hypocritical member of the religious right who most makes my skin crawl - has won big this week.  People, this man is so anti-woman I'm surprised his wife - and daughters - haven't smothered him in his sleep!

Have you heard him rail on about how he believes that Obama is taking away our religious freedom?  I'm pretty sure man has no idea what that term even means! Listen to what he says. He sounds like he wants to create a Christian theocracy, folks.  If you're fine with that I ask you to consider if you would feel the same if he was proposing a theocracy based on a different religion - something like ancient Egyptian polytheism, for example. That changes things, doesn't it?

One of the most recent things he's done to raise my ire is when he defended drug companies in a health care speech.  The man is seriously out of touch.  Just watch the video.  This quote really gets me riled up:
"People have no problem going out and buying an iPad for $900, but paying $900 for a drug, they have a problem with it.
Does it not even occur to this man that some people may not even have $900 extra for anything?!? Can he not comprehend people who live from paycheck to paycheck with little extra?  He makes me so angry I could spit nails!  I need to move onto something else...

And the Silver Lining:   Because I won't end on a bad note...  This isn't really "news"  nor is it "new" but it is fascinating!  It's a sunken bridge that takes you through a moat.  You just have to see it to believe it! Take a look.
Nope.  I'm still in a rotten mood. Looks like I need to pull out the big guns.  Go watch this video of baby pandas.  Now this one of a baby panda sneezing. Repeat as necessary.  Ah.  That's better.  So, so adorable! <3

Image is in the public domain and was found here

No comments:

Post a Comment