Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Midweek Meme - Episode 3

It's Wednesday so it is time for another Midweek Meme!  We'll give this another go and see if I can get some participation this time!

This week's meme has to do with music - and I have a short story to lead into it.

When I was in middle school, we were allowed to bring in records  [Yes,  vinyl records.  45s, to be precise]  for the teacher to play during art class while we were attempting to be artistic.

One day, one of my classmates brought in a record. It was "Beth" by Kiss which was quite popular at the time. [and now you can all run to Google and figure out about how old I am... Have fun. I'll be here when you get back.]

Anyway, my classmate [one of the popular girls] insisted on playing that record over and over.  We had to listen to that song at least 5 times and finally I objected.  I liked the song but I didn't want to listen to it over and over like that!  I wanted to hear something different!  She objected to my objection and then it was an "issue" and we finally had to sit through the rest of the class without music. Yeah. It was "all my fault". [Oh, I did have supporters but they didn't have the nerve to say anything until after class, the wimps...]

Now, oddly enough, there are songs that I don't mind listening to more than once at a time.  This leads us to this week's question which is....

Name 5 songs you like well enough to play over and over again. [or at least 2 or 3 times in a row]

The Rules: Either put your answers in a comment below or put your answers on your own blog and place a link to your post here in the comments.

Here is my list:
  1. "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen - I think it's the superb harmonies that make me enjoy this song so much
  2. "Freedom! '90" by George Michael - Classic George Michael.  That man sure can sing!
  3. "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri 
  4. "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes - I've no idea why this song appeals to me so much! The lead singer's voice is so... odd.  Maybe I just have to listen to the song again to be sure that it was really like that!
  5. Rhapsody in Blue composed by George Gershwin - I had a difficult time coming up with a 5th one until I considered classical music - though I suppose this selection could be called jazz.
Which songs do you like well enough to hear over and over?

No comments:

Post a Comment