Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Foggy-brained Memories

My mind is a bit foggy this morning.  I'm blaming the cold medication I took at bedtime last night.  That sort of thing really knocks me out.

Real fog can be dangerous to drive in.  One particular incident comes to my mind when I'm thinking of driving in fog. My fiance and I were traveling up the highway - I was driving - and there were wispy strands of fog here and there but nothing that was a problem.  We rounded a turn and drove straight into fog so thick that I couldn't see more than a foot ahead of me.  It was horrible!  I slowed to a crawl.

Soon I noticed a car was behind me - tailgating me. It was annoying enough to try to see well enough to drive and even more so to have someone plastered to my rear bumper.  I considered pulling over to allow him to pass but I couldn't see well enough to safely do so.  I knew there deep gullies just past the shoulders at points on this highway but I wasn't sure exactly where we were so I didn't chance it.

After a little while, the driver behind me lost patience with my caution and whipped out around me and sped off into the fog.  I still wonder about the sanity of that driver. You couldn't see well enough for the speed he was going and wouldn't see an obstacle in your road before it was too late.  We didn't encounter him down the highway, so I assume that he didn't wreck but I wouldn't have been surprised to see that.  His or her actions were reckless and dangerous.

Why do people take such chances with their lives - and the lives of others?  This never fails to amaze me but we see this sort of thing all the time.  I have to wonder if they just don't even consider the possible consequences of their actions. Maybe they are they just focused on something else - like hurrying to get somewhere.  I sure don't know but I hope this type of person stays far away from me when they are driving too fast for conditions!


Image: Foggy woodland  © Copyright Jonathan Kington / CC BY-SA 2.0 

No comments:

Post a Comment