Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Monday, February 13, 2012

Extreme Weather

The temperature took me by surprise this morning when I stepped outside.  The weather channel informs me that it is currently 23°F [-5°C] so that explains it.  I know it was windy and bitter out over the weekend but I didn't do more than poke my head out to let the dog out and in so I didn't really experience it.  

I know I shouldn't be complaining.  It really isn't that cold and we've had much colder temperatures most winters here but we've had a mild winter.  It just didn't seem to want to stay cold. We'd have a day or two of below freezing - sometimes only below freezing overnight - then back to the 40s or even the 50s. We keep complaining that we haven't really had a real winter. It's ridiculous.  

It seems even more ridiculous when you consider other odd weather like the recent cold snap in Europe.  I simply cannot imagine temperatures of -33°F [-36°C].  I don't know how you deal with that sort of cold.

We certainly had an unusual 2011, weather-wise.  NOAA stated in June of last year that it was one of the most extreme weather years in history.  Yeah. Only halfway through the year they felt that way.  

I'd say that some of this extreme weather is continuing...  It makes you wonder what is yet to come, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment