Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Seven - January 8, 2012

Name seven of listed eleven sounds today’s kids have probably never heard that you remember most clearly.

  1. Rotary dial telephone
  2. Manual typewriter - My father was a teacher and we could often hear him typing away on his manual typewriter in the evenings, typing up a paper for class the next day.  Of course, they didn't have copiers like they do today but he typed it up on a stencil that he would run through the mimeograph machine.  I still have his old mimeograph machine though I imagine I'd find it impossible to purchase the supplies to use it now days!
  3. Record changer
  4. Gas station driveway bell - It is difficult to find a gas station that isn't self serve so there'd be little use for those in my state now days!
  5. TV station sign-off
  6. Film projector
  7. Broken record

3 comments:

  1. There are honestly times that I miss the old rotary dials. I remember the phones my grandmother had, and part of me was sorry to see them replaced by the push-button models in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you remember them but everyone's phones used to be those heavy black ones that the phone company rented out to you! I think they were actually hard-wired - not plug-in as they are now. I still remember those clunkers, though! You didn't want to drop one of those on your foot! Oh! and party lines! We had one when I was growing up! Do you remember those?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely remember those. And those old phones were made like Sherman tanks...practically indestructible. With real ringers, too! I miss them.

    ReplyDelete