Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, January 27, 2012

Ripped from the Headlines!*

* Disclaimer: may not necessarily be the top news stories...

Let's start off with entertainment news. Anyone remember Kim Kardashian?  Well... it seems she is now saying that her father's ghost told her to divorce Kris Humphries.  Yeah.  She says that psychic John Edward told her what her father wanted ['cause he talks to the dead] and so she had a legitimate reason to divorce Humphries.  Right?  Right...

In other more serious news, parents of autistic children are concerned that the American Psychiatric Association is considering redefining autism.  Some people are worried that the new definition will exclude too many children who legitimately need the services they receive now and exclude some in the future who would need these health services.  I don't know enough about autism to say much more but I do hope that the association doesn't make such a radical change that those who really do need help are unable to get it.  It would be a shame for poorer families who rely on state funds to help their children to lose this sort of aid. [or even middle-class families, as we know how expensive medical costs can be]

In political news:  I ran across this quote from Mitt Romney that just blew my mind [but not in a good way]:  “I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that’s the America millions of Americans believe in. That’s the America I love.”   Um.. huh?  Is what they call psychobabble?  Can someone translate it for me?

Moving on... in state news [my state, of course, because I'm egotistical that way] the Pennsylvania House of Representatives has unanimously declared 2012 as the "Year of the Bible".  Seriously.  They passed a noncontroversial resolution stating this. [It says it is "noncontroversial" right on the thing.  Take a look.]  So, in essence, the men and women who the residents of PA have elected to the state house are totally ignoring that they also possibly represent Jewish people, Muslims, Hindus, Pagans, Non-believers, etc. and telling us all to be guided by the Christian Bible. Nice to know exactly where we non-Christians stand, folks.  

And finally... I heard this on NPR radio just this morning:  Hillary Clinton will be stepping down at the end of this term as Secretary of State even if Obama is re-elected.  She says she is tired of public life.  I have to say that I'm not the least bit surprised by this news.  I remarked to K when we watched the State of the Union Address earlier in the week that Hillary looked exhausted!  I do hope that there is nothing else behind this like an illness - though I have to doubt that as she says she will work the remainder of her term and then stay on, if necessary, until a replacement is named.

That's all the news that might have slipped through the cracks!

Image is in the public domain and was found here

No comments:

Post a Comment