Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Remarks on the Iowa Caucus

So I heard on the radio this morning that Romney won the Iowa caucus and that Santorum came in close behind him.  The results were very close - 8 votes, to be exact - so this really could be considered a tie, in my book.  The radio announcer then mentioned that Ron Paul had come in 3rd followed by Gingrich.  He didn't give specifics about them.

So, once I arrived at work, I went to a news website as I was curious about how far off Ron Paul was and I was surprised!  Romney and Santorum essentially managed 25% of the vote each and Ron Paul got 21% of the vote.  I don't think that's very far off at all.  To be honest, it's pretty close, isn't it?  Especially if you figure that Gingrich only received 13%!

I do have to wonder about the media and Ron Paul.  I know this was remarked on by Jon Stewart of The Daily Show several times but it never fails to amaze me when I see it happen. The issue is how they seem to ignore and dismiss him.

--Now let me be clear:  I am by no means a fan of Ron Paul.  Not at all. It just seems amazing how mainstream media dismisses him time and time again while he is actually still relevant in this race. [and frankly, I'm grateful that they do dismiss him because if he became a media darling and was splashed all over the place I'm afraid he'd really become a contender and that would be absurd.]--

Take a look at the Republican 2008 Iowa caucus results. Notice where John McCain came in?  13% of the vote.  Huckabee actually won Iowa four years ago.  Now... was McCain out of the picture, then?  It would appear not as he did get his party's nomination, now didn't he?  So, I think it is fair to say that neither Ron Paul nor Newt Gingrich are out this time around, either.

It should be interesting to see what happens in New Hampshire but, quite frankly, I think that it will be a Romney/Obama race in the fall.  I might be wrong but I just don't see how it could go any other way considering the mediocre candidates the Republican party has produced this time around.  I guess time will tell!


2 comments:

  1. The main stream media always has an agenda, and in this case they will ignore Ron Paul just like they did 4 years ago. Concerning the Iowa caucus, no nomination is impossible nor can they be predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that Iowa sure has a way of surprising us every four years, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete