Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Midweek Meme - Episode 1

I thought I'd try something new! A weekly meme on Wednesdays to help get us over the hump of midweek!  [I've optimistically entitled this one Episode 1 in hopes that there will be an Episode 2.]

Okay. Here goes:
I was placing my lunch in the refrigerator at work this morning and I noticed a sandwich, wrapped in plastic, on the top shelf. It occurred to me at that point that I'm not a huge fan of cold sandwiches. I really am not fond of lunch meat at all - though I'm intrigued with the idea of macaroni and cheese loaf and olive loaf but not enough to purchase them. [Don't even tell me you are surprised by this!  You know I'm a bit odd already!]

I think my aversion to most cold sandwiches goes back to when I was in elementary school. My mother would generally pack our lunches and one of my favorite sandwiches was peanut butter and honey.   The problem was that by the time lunch rolled around, the honey had soaked into the bread and it was crunchy around the edges and... rather gross. Minced bologna sandwiches were just disgusting.  Without mayo, the bologna stuck to the bread. With mayo it was slimy.  [We didn't use cold packs in our lunch boxes back then.  We just took a chance with food poisoning, I guess, but I don't recall ever getting sick!]  I don't think peanut butter and marshmallow fluff fared much better. [and the mere thought of that has me wanting to run to brush my teeth so I'll change the subject!]

For this Midweek Meme we will list our 5 favorite sandwiches! [hot or cold but I'm talking sandwich you can pick up, not open-faced "sandwiches" you have to eat with a fork.]

The Rules: Either put your answers in a comment below or on your own blog and place a link to your post here in the comments so we can read your answers!  In fact, let's make it even easier! If you're on Google+ you can participate in a public post on your G+ account there, as well, as long as you link us to it in the comments here.

I'm going to answer this one myself here:
  1. Grilled cheese. [with or without ham]  I've never met a grilled cheese sandwich I didn't like! 
  2. Tuna melt - again with the melted cheese.  This might be a trend!
  3. Hot dog - Sometimes I just want a hot dog - with mustard, not ketchup, and onions and/or chili... now I'm hungry!
  4. BLT - It's bacon! Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon! [Yep.  I went there.  Couldn't help myself]
  5. Egg sandwich [on toast] - I fry my eggs hard - no dippy - and sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese and maybe a little garlic then place them on toast spread with a bit of mayo!
Okay!  Your turn!  What are your five favorite sandwiches?  

No comments:

Post a Comment