Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Friday, January 13, 2012

It's Friday! (the 13th...)

Today is the 13th and it is a Friday.

According to Wikipedia,  it is estimated that 17 to 21 million people in the US have a fear of Friday the 13th!  That seems very high to me but perhaps it includes people who are mildly uncomfortable with the day, as well.

The fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia.  Some people are afraid of the number 13 itself and that is called triskaidekaphobia.  [I'm glad I don't have to spell either of those on a regular basis!]

I was curious about the origins of the fear so I looked it up.  As I suspected, there is no consensus but many theories.  Apparently not only is 13 considered unlucky but Friday, itself,  is considered unlucky.

The book The Da Vinci Code makes a connection between the Knights Templar and Friday the 13th but this is considered a recent connection as it is rare to hear of the fear prior to the 20th century.

It seems that Tuesday the 13th is considered unlucky in many other parts of the world.

I'm not a superstitious person nor do I have phobias.  [I'm a bit uncomfortable with heights but I think that is normal.]  What about you?  Does Friday the 13th alarm you?


No comments:

Post a Comment