Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, January 19, 2012

A cuppa, cuppa, cuppa...

People who know me well even a little know that I love coffee! [the link takes you to Manhattan Transfer's version of Java Jive - which is marvelous background music for this post] It's one of my favorite flavors and my first cup of joe is something I look forward to enjoying first thing in the morning.

Yes.  I know. Over the years scientists have done studies that appear to show that coffee may be bad for us but it appears that most of these studies [if not all of them] have been proven wrong!

So!  I can drink my coffee guilt-free which just makes it sweeter! [even though I take it black, no sugar]

There are many reasons that people have to give up coffee sometimes but we have it pretty good now days!  Did you know that in 17th century Turkey you could have been killed for drinking it?!?  The story is outlined in this piece by NPR's "The Salt". The article doesn't go into details about why but it mentions that in the past coffee was thought of in the same way we view crack cocaine today - as an addictive and harmful drug!  Perhaps the Sultan was just trying to help his people!

I'm glad that this view of coffee has passed, for the most part, but I suspect that this sort of history might have something to do with the pervasive negative attitude towards it even today!  Either that or the caffeine headaches a regular coffee affectionado gets when he or she doesn't get their brew for a couple days make people suspicious of it!

In any event, no one is running around threatening to behead me [that I am aware of] so I will continue to enjoy my coffee!  Would you like a cup?

Image courtesy of Julius Schorzman who doesn't require attribution but is getting it here anyhow

No comments:

Post a Comment