Something to Think About

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Stuff and nonsense

I find it ironic that, out of the 6 people who have desks next to the christmas tree at work, the atheist is the one most likely to plug in the lights every morning.  [and unplug them before we leave at night]
Three people are generally here when I arrive in the morning as they start earlier and another arrives when I do.  The last person arrives half and hour later.  And yes.  I've tried waiting to see what happens and invariably no one will get down on the floor to plug them in.  I think the tree looks stupid if it isn't lit so I plug it in.
--------------------------
Today is our holiday pot-luck dinner.  I made pulled pork.  Next year I'm going to find something easier to do...  It was a pain lugging the crock pot in along with several other bags and such.  [and I should have made more than one trip but I was lazy]
I was going to suggest that we have an ugly sweater day next year on the same day as our potluck but then I realized that some of my co-workers already wear ugly sweaters and may be insulted if we refer to them as ugly.  I'll probably bring up the idea, anyway... I like to live dangerously.
---------------------------
The latest office tradition seems to be to give out lottery tickets in their christmas cards.  I don't even exchange cards so now I have yet another reason to feel guilty. Perhaps next year I'll consider handing out  cards. What do you all think of this one?  No?  This one?  Maybe this one would be less likely to offend anyone.

Who knows?

I mean, certain Fox News commentators seemed to be offended by the White House card this year. I'm not sure what they are complaining about since this is the official Fox Business Network Card this year.  [For the record, I'm offended by the second card and I'm not even a christian!  I mean... two foxes roasting the NBC peacock over a fire?  Not exactly classy, is it?]
----------------------------
I have the day off work tomorrow.  I was tickled to have my schedule cooperate enough to allow this.  I'm a little less tickled now that I realize that K has the day off, too.  I was looking forward to a day to myself but that isn't going to happen.  Oh, well...
----------------------------
And lastly, I'm sure a lot of you have heard about SOPA [Stop Online Piracy Act] but might be confused by it.  Never fear!   Someone has created a document called SOPA for Dummies for those of us who might not be sure what it is about!  Okay.  That document is pretty one-sided, isn't it?  I found that the Wikipedia article seems to be pretty neutral.  I'm not sure, however, from reading skimming the Wikipedia article how SOPA would shut down Facebook or Twitter...  Can someone give me some facts, please? [and save me having to use my day off tomorrow attempting to read HR 3261 without dozing off]  I'm serious.  I really don't quite understand some of these things.

Image courtesy of NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment